1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

One or Two trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by emil35, Apr 9, 2006.

1. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

Ok here's the deal.

I'm currently 17 and will be going to college next year. I'm downsizing my business to concentrate on college, but at the same time, have a way to pay for college that will actually earn me some cash. I currently have 4 trucks, but 2 if not all 4 will be sold soon. Here's the question. I'll be mostly working afternoons and weekends. I currently have a S-10 and 3500HD that I may keep, but the two trucks are 98s and aren't the best on fuel (s10 is okay/pretty good, but cant tow much) Should I keep the two trucks and pay insurance for both, or go out and get a DURAMAX diesel as my truck and pick up an older BMW that a family member will pretty much give to me as a personal car if I don't need/want to drive my duramax? What would u do?? Thanks in advance!
  2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Sell the S-10 and pick up a cheap civic that gets 35 mpg. Keep the 3500HD if it is in good condition and isn't costing a fortune in repairs.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i bought a 94 toyota pickup and it *lowered* my insurance because I'm putting less miles on my 05 F350. Keep the s10 for commuting/estimates/light work and keep the 3500 for the HD work.
  4. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

So no go with a DURAMAX Diesel? I thought they got good mileage...what would be a neg. side to one of them? And that BMW averages 30mpg. But keep the input coming. Thanks again for the advice! :)
  5. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

if the two vehicles you already have are paid for, then it will be most likely cheaper to keep those then to buy a new duramax. although if it was me, id be driving to college in a duramax. but for some reason im driving the gas to college.
  6. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

i dunno about you but here i'm paying hard for diesel,i agree with everyone else....you already own it,its paid for make money with it if you buy a smaller car you'll have payments even after a trade in.

btw,what are u actually towing with the 1 ton like say number of mowers and weight? u said u have 4 trucks what sizes are these? what size is your trailer? take all that info and you'll have your answer.
  7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

8. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i have an s10 and i dont have a problem pulling with it....anyways id keep them both or keep one and get a small car...like a civic or gti or soemthing real small
  9. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

insurance will suck on a new truck
  10. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok so what are the other 2 trucks besides the S10 and 3500HD....also what year is the BMW?