one or two wheels?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdepic, May 12, 2004.

1. jdepic

jdepic LawnSite Member

on a 36 inch belt drive scag w/b should I use a 1 or 2 wheeled sulkie? thanks for any advice.

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I use a two wheel velky x2. It pretty much tracks behind the mowers rear wheels. With a one wheel velky you would leave a third wheel mark. Just my preference.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Why type grass ya mowing there in edgewater? I strongly prefer the one-wheel velkes, but found that they leave a terrible looking 3rd track in the tall mowed St. Augustine and even some Bahia. The big neg to me of 2 wheelers was the side to side jockeying that wore me out and affected steering somewhat. What about a proslide or Toro 2 wheel sulky? (independent wheels make for smoother ride)

4. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Two, you won't see the third wheel, and looks cleaner IMO.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Use the two wheel. It lines up with your mowers tires and you won't even notice the wheel lines from it compared to that of a one wheel

6. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

I've heard that a 36" belt drive mower will leave a bad cut due to pulling your weight and stressing it out.

7. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Try 0 wheels..........why ride when you can slide.....Proslide all the way!!! :D:D:D

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

No, a 36" is fine with a sulky. You might have to add some weight to the front if you're heavy. Some companies make weight kits for just that purpose (hustler, exmark come to mind) but you can usually fabricate something yourself easily. I mowed for several seasons with 36" belt and a one wheel velke fairly extensively, with no transmission, or cut problems. Didn't even require extra weight with a toro floating deck. Fixed decks are usually lighter and may need weight. My 32" does.

9. yz250fpilot

yz250fpilot LawnSite Member

I use a 2 wheel behind my Toro 36" fixed hydro and have no problems with cut or lightness of the front end.

10. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Ive used a velke 1 wheel with my 36inch fixed deck and think its crap. I can not stand that 3rd wheel line down the middle, and if I dont like it I know my customers dont. The only way Ive noticed it affecting my mower is the belts getting loser and streching due to the strain of pulling my big butt around, but they cool and are back to normal.