One phone number or both?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by sodzilla, Apr 6, 2004.

1. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

About two years ago I moved from my hometown to another town that is 60 miles away due to job. I quit that job to start the lawn care business this year. I am trying to build the business in the are close to my home town in hopes of moving back to the are in the next year. The reason for this is there is alot more opertunity for a LCO in that area. It is just outside of the capitol city for WI. The county has over 500,000 residents. The city were I live now is about 15,000 people the rest of the county is moslty rural. Most of the work I have already is in the larger county. I have a cell phone for a business number that is local in that area. I have some work in my home area but not much( I haven't advertised at all, just word of mouth, no phone number just my home number).

I'm going to have my truck lettered this week and was wondering if I should just put the business number on it? Or should I also put my home number on it to try and get more business were I live now? Like I said I have work in both areas but want to build the business in the area I'm planning to move back to.

2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Get an 800 number. I got one and all it is you pay for the there long distence and you can take it with you. It rings in on the regular phone line as your other phone. My customers love it and it makes you look like a big deal. Most of my customers are absentee owners. I use both numbers in the ad.

Bill

3. googleplex

googleplex LawnSite Member

Talk to the phone company.
    They can set you up with a 'local' number that rings on your phone - works the same as the 800 number without the 8oo

4. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I looked into the 800 number last year when I started the business. The only thing was that I would have to have a second phone line run into the house. It would have been $85 dollars to have it run from the pole to the house then an additional $25 per 15 minutes to have the line installed in the house. I couldn't see spending that much when I plan on selling the place in the near future. Thats why I went with the cell phone.

5. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I would just do the local number and have it automatically call your cell I think its like 30 bucks a month. Either that or get magnets. Use one in your hometown when you are there and the other use your home phone. We have a similar problem. When I started my cell was a 517 area code and so was my home towns. Now my home town is 989 area code. Well when I got that office phone I still advertised both. But lansing where we do some work was 517. So we use magnets. When we work in lansing we use the cell phone number ones and when we work in the home town we use the office number. That way in each town it still looks like we are local.

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

New leaf Landscape that is a great idea.