one question and one comment

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by P.Services, Mar 30, 2008.

1. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

The question,

i plow snow for a large company who said at the start of our relationship "if your on site your getting paid". well one night the owner calls us in and we get there and no snow on the ground, well we have to wait 4.5 hrs before we get enough snow to plow. when we arrived the foreman says " oh dont worry guys your getting paid to sit and wait. im paying my guys to sit and wait and burn fuel and be on site so i think its fair that i get paid even though we arnt working,the owner called me after all and said to come in so its his call not mine. so i get my check in the mail and sure enough we didnt get paid for the 4.5 hours and he thinks he he doesn't owe it to me either. i said to him "well your foreman said twice we are getting paid to wait because you told us to come in" and now the foreman doesn't recall.

now i can see if i maid the call to send the crews in before the owner told me to come in, then i would not expect payment. but when he maid the call i expect to get paid. im not afraid to drop this guy like a hot rock and tell him keep the cash but dont call again. i dont work for a$$ holes who dont pay me ( the checks are never on time either, and they are always 1/2 of what they should be so then you have to wait another 2 weeks to get paid in full) but i always get paid in the end. now its only a matter of $400.00 bucks (only one truck didn't get paid for) but its my 400 bucks he ows me.

what do you guys think, should i get paid? or since my trucks didn't plow for 4.5 hrs he doesn't owe it to me.

the comment...

for those that are tracking my post's, do you really have nothing better to do when you come on this site then to follow what some dumb kid that knows darn near nothing is saying? what is it you want to know? my pricing? what jobs i have lined up? what i say about so and so? let me know and i will tell you because this shat is starting to get on my nerves when you two keep tabs on what im up to. try to add some help full info to the sit once in awhile, that would be a better use of your time now wouldn't it?

2. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

haha I like the ending to your post.

Yes, you should get paid, they called you when you could have been sleeping or such. Their loss if there was no snow.

3. P.Services

thanks for the reply.

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

You should be paid for all the time you are on site because he called you in. Do you sign a contract with them or is it word of mouth. I can see both sides. we didnt use subs this year but last year we used some and our contract had two prices, a plowing price and a "stand bye" price. meaning waiting on site or at our shop. You should be paid for your time that your waiting but since its sleeping or sitting and casing no damage to trucks or gas it should be at a discount. But since he did not say that then u should be paid in full

5. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Are you an employee or a sub? according to part if the IRS a sub is someone who comes in to work on their schedule, using their own tools. An employee comes to work when the boss tells them to and they are paid from that point on. IMO if he called you in and you couldnt go out to eat or go to the movies then you are "on the clock" your time and equip is worth something after all you could have been working somewhere else had he not called you to be there/

6. P.Services

i had to stay "on site" while i waited, i think because he is getting paid when i am there.

7. MassSteelerfan

MassSteelerfan LawnSite Member
    from Mass

The owner should pay, wether right or wrong considering it was a one time issue, and there seems to be a lack of communication on his part. If I were the owner I would bite the bullet and pay you this time and straighten out what is expected in the future.

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

you dont even need to ask, that was your arrangement and understanding, yes they owe you the money you agreed on

9. P.Services

thanks for the new responses. it seems to me you would just bit the bullet and pay me as opposed to loosing a good sub.

10. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I would drop him if he doesn't pay. Now if he does pay, since you had to argue with him, and he is usually late I would change the rate for next year by 40% or he can find somone else.