1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

One Size Fits All

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It may be a good reminder that what we experience in a given situation, is not a valid point to 'generalize' into all situations.
    The ability for a professional lawncare person to understand basic principles and apply them to individual situations, is Paramount to anyone in the business.

We can read an article and believe that it is saying something is good or bad, but we can't understand, "Why", it is good or bad, in this circumstance, then ask the question : "Will it", be good or bad in a different : time of year, texture of soil, available moisture, climate, cultural practices, amounts of apps, etc., etc.

It's as if an idea has been understood and it becomes the ONLY way to understand it. That may be what is lacking in the industry.

Is it wise to dethatch ALL lawns in Spring?, pre-m ALL lawns in Spring(twice), fertilize ALL lawns Early Spring?, irrigate ALL lawns 4 days a week for 45 minutes?, bag clippings on ALL lawns(every time)?

Can anyone name one thing that is best if it is always done on every lawn? What is the One Thing that is the SAME for every lawn, that makes it the best way to go? :)
  2. kennc38

kennc38 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you referring to generalized statements like:

"Aeration is not your best seed bed... period...";

"Forget aerators, when seeding is your objective... "

Or are you only referring to things we SHOULD do to our lawns?? :)
  3. Smallaxe

Why is the general statement, good or bad?
    When will it be best? or worst?

We tend to either get caught up in the latest trend or we're so stuck on a crazy idea, becuz that's the way it always been done; we think that, what we imagine, is the Basic Understanding about how plant life works... :)
  4. Smallaxe

This conversation reminds me of purple-winged cows, strangly enough... perfect sense and rational organization, was so much simpler then...

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

what is best for a lawn doesn't always pay the bills.
  6. Smallaxe

I know... it's easy for me to say, because I'm a full-service scaper...

However, my contention is that every aspect of lawncare can be profitable, if done correctly...
    Beat out the shoddy, wasteful competition with 'excellence'...

The biggest problem, is with, the concept of the word, "correctly"...

:laugh: Nobody wants to believe that the 5-7 step program in a 4 month growing season, may not be correct... and will not "Think" it through... :)

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i do my best to school the customer on what is best.
    sometimes i just have accept some kids get left behind lol