One Station Spits/Sputters

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Norcal3080, May 8, 2013.

1. Norcal3080

Norcal3080 LawnSite Member

One station out of four spits and sputters when the station activates, both manually and automatically. Doesnt ever clear up, little pressure to station. Should I be looking for broken pipe or a valve issue? Seems broken pipe would eliminate nearly all pressure, and see no wet spots from break. Valve issue?? Sucking air??

Thanks

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

You nailed it. It is most likely either a leak or a valve. Could be tree roots choking the pipe.
    Verify before digging for potential leak. Turn on other zones that work, and check the water meter. Note how fast the dial is spinning and how it sounds as water is rushing through. Then try the zone in question. If the dial barely moves, and you don't hear the water rushing through at the same rate, then you have a restriction. And that could be the valve not opening or possibly a tree root.

Enjoy!!!!

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

What Dana said!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

What!!
    No Measuring and verifying flow?
    I don't understand. Just the mood you're in?

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

For the most part he can verify flow at the meter, as I said. He can see how the meter is moving compared to other zones and see if its a leak or a restriction.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

What Dana said, again!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Dana did a good job of explaining the process. Verifying a leak isn't that tough to do.

Digging up the yard, boring under sidewalks and driveways, running new pipe around houses or changing wiper seals without verifying that one actually has a leak may be the choice of some professionals but not eye.

I have chased ghost leaks and wire issues in the past, waste of time and money.

Everything that Dana said could be done by a HO without expensive tools and is minimally invasive, sweet!

My mood is a bit sour, somebody stole my bike so getting the Davis job is out.

Thank you for your concern :waving:
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Horse and wagon are acceptable alternatives. :laugh:

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

They accepted the horse, said she had a better resume.
    Posted via Mobile Device