1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

One Time Lawn Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ringahding, Dec 5, 2011.

1. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah depending on the yard...but i charge extra for it...i no longer cut those one time yards where the grass is a foot tall or more....just not worth it.

3. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I did it over the summer for the same price as I would normally charge but now I plan on charging more and avoiding the "one time cuts" if possible.

4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I did not offer one time mows this year due to a full schedule.

5. BeetletheBeetle

BeetletheBeetle LawnSite Member

I dont mind doing it.

6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I do if its close to a yard I already cut. But the price is usually a minimum of triple my normal price
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Thanksman

Thanksman LawnSite Platinum Member

i would do a onetime cut if it was a manicured yard and they were going on vacation or something. but as for a field two feet high.. as long as it didnt interfere with my weekly customer. jmo

8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I read the the link. Another reason why you can't believe a customer when they say the last guy only charged.....

I had a small cleanup this fall. Told the lady $366 to do it. She countered with the guy last year did it for $150. Told her as any business speech my costs have to be covered. Enough money has to be made to buy a new truck, trailer, or what ever equipment wears out or I will be out of business. Got the job.

And I didn't ask what happened to the last guy.

9. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Problem with one time mows: Generally the customer can't afford lawn care.

Can't afford to fix or buy a new mower.

Can't physically do the work any more due to age and with age reduced income so they can't afford lawn care.

See lawn care as work for the brain dead, brain damaged, or brainless and it kills them to pay anything above minimum wage for it.

What is good about one time mows

Is that it has allowed landscapers to make extra money at double or triple rate because of the extra labor needed.

Many LCO's have picked up good accounts.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. Does every time a estimate call result in a new customer?

No.

Does every one time mow end in a bad experience?

No.

And if handled right it will pay well.

10. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

I do! But they get charged the crazy price if the lawn looks crazy.