One Time Lawn Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ringahding, Dec 5, 2011.

1. BrunoT

BrunoT LawnSite Senior Member

2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

if it's a customer that views me as an @sshole that means i'm working for them and thats all i care about.

sticking to my guns though. no negotiating on prices. if you can find someone cheaper, by all means hire that person.

while money may not be number 1 to me, i'm certainly not interested in giving my labor away for free either.
  3. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

If your a neighbor of one of my customers we'll do a one time cut but we are not liable for any broken sprinklers heads. Last thing I want is for a one time cut to be a hassle.

I will not drive any where to estimate a one time cut. That is just plane stupid.
  4. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

oh i'll estimate a one time. i'll do the estimate when i'm already in that area mowing my regular clients.

but i won't do the cut the same day, even if i'm right next door cutting a regular. the one time cut will have to wait until the next week.

i keep a tight schedule. most of my days are scheduled full not allowing me any time to squeeze an extra job in. so while i might have a quick min. to look over a property to give an estimate and i won't have time to cut it.

very rarely do i do any work on the spot. even for my regulars. if i'm there mowing and the client comes out and wants something else done, generally it will be put on the following weeks schedule. not to mention i generally only carry the tools with me that i will be using for that day anyway. can't prune a shrub or 2 if all i have with me are mowers, trimmers, edgers and blowers.
  5. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

I agree the prairie field cutting days for us are over too. How much more would you charge than your regular price?
  6. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

I charge them double only if there is time, and only if its close to a yard we already do. I also make sure they pay me cash up front.
  7. ringahding

I agree, hopefully no one will drive for a one time lawn mowing. I think to avoid any hassles would make sure you hear what the customer is asking, so when you get there you're not disappointed.
  8. ringahding

WOW! I like that idea, I'm still chasing down people for the $$

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

We also charge about double the normal rate, and
    it needs to be paid in advance.

On the invoice it will say that if you become a regular customer
    you can use this one cut invoice as a coupon for one free cut.

We have signed many customers over the years doing this.
  10. ringahding

OOOOH! That is a great idea! I had never thought of that technique. Well see next growing season how we can implement this, thanks man!