One Time vs Recurring

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Apr 27, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

So far this season, I've got my mowing schedule about 1/3 to 1/2 full. But I've been going non-stop pretty much every day, filling the gaps with non-recurring work, like shrub trimming, mulch installs, design installs, etc.

But here's the problem I'm facing. I fear the non-recurring stuff will eventually dry up. When it does, I'll have nothing to do but hang door hangers. However, if I had my mowing schedule completely full, how would I ever be able to do one time stuff, like shrubs and bed clean ups?

How are others hndling this? What's the best advice for balancing the two? I have been figuring that eventually, at some point, maybe I'd have like two or even three two man crews to handle the recurring revenues and one crew to handle the non-recurring revenue. But until you get to a point where you have multiple crews, how do you balance the workload?

Thanks,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

some would say hire a helper. I just have my mowing days WED-Sat. With Monday-Tuesday for one time jobs. WEATHER DELAYS SUCK.

Trevor

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I just say charge enough for the mowing where you don't need the extra work. Granted it will take a while to accomplish this, since you'll have to sometimes acquire lawns at a cheaper rate to make your living, and then as you grow, either continue to raise prices $5 / year, or every other, or drop the accounts that don't pay within 15-20 days. Eventually you'll have all good paying accounts that pay quickly, then either sub all the other work out, or just let your accounts you're not interested.