1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

One Timers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWnENFORCER, Apr 4, 2002.

LAWnENFORCER LawnSite Member

First of all I know that most of you probably don't like the one timers. The property owners that want just one cut because their mowers in the shop, their "lawn kid" is on vacation at Disney World, etc, etc, etc.

I have been asked to bid on several of these type jobs, and in the past I have found these to be very profitable. My question for those that will consider this, do you have a special formula or a set rate added to your original formula?

Or maybe I am wrong and should estimate it like any other yard. I really don't like doing it, but I do like the extra $"s and it is good advertising.

Just wanted to know your opinions.

2. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

We do a lot of one timers,they are good to fill gaps in the schedule and also a lot convert to become regular customers,if their mowers busted this week,it probably will be next week too,so who's going to cut it then,yep you again,then they figure its easier to get their lawn cut than mess around doing it themselves.Pricing depends on what you see when you get there,a little extra if its just the next regular cut and a lot extra if the mower busted a couple of months ago and the landlords coming round for a property inspection tomorrow.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hello Kevin
    A Lot Of People Will Say there Mower Is Broken But It's Not. They Just Want To See If They Like what You Do. Price It Just Like any thing else But Try for Cash If They (The One Timer) Has I.S.F.'s.
    Hope this Help's
    Johnny G. :cool: :cool:
  4. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I do quite a few one timers. Their yard is usually a mess so I give them 2 quotes: One for the mowing to be done that day which is usually more because there is extra edging and trimming to be done and the other for weekly service after my first mowing.
  5. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I get plenty of one timers that work great to fill in slow days or i'll do them on my days off..... Usually come june I'll get lots of calls to clean out overgrown lawns where the customer was just plain lazy and didn't want to do it earlier. the nice thing is that these folks are usually desperate enoughto pay what i'll charge, if they don't want to pay what I'm asking, hey no problem, I'll go camping or something like that instead. If you can't get what you want for it, It's not worth it...
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i did one today, lady came from across the street, "can u cut mine? how much?", i gave her a price, but said now its once a week, ok? she said ok. so i busted my ass getting the 48 over this huge curb, started cutting, she came out and paid me cus she was goin to the dentist. i said, "ill see u next week", she said, "well, ill call u and let u know". i was like what the f, i told u once a week, u said ok. i was kinda mad
  7. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

Yes, that sucks. But, you got to vent it on Lawnsite, where you'll find that alot of us have been there and understand your rage.

It's over. Brush it off and walk away.........................you got another story to tell.

Did you guys ever wonder how boring it would be if all those people just went along with us?

I've made drastic changes to both my program and contraction because of some of the wonderful people I've met over the years.
  8. coldbrook landscapin

coldbrook landscapin LawnSite Member

i personally don't mind doing one timers...The ones i get calls for are the folks who go on vacation. and want their lawn done so they aren't looking like a cow pasture . also it gives the homeower a little piece of mind that maybe if someone is casting the neighorhood ( robbers ) it will look like someone is home .
  9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I love doing one timers. They are always profitable. When i get asked i give them a higher price then i wouldve to mow it all year, and they always take it because they are desperate or just want it mowed. I usually just hike the price up $10-15. I figure i have to change my mowing schedule around it, so its worth it. If they dont like the price, its no skin off my back. i already have plenty to mow:D
  10. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I don't do 'em anymore. I turn 'em into weekly (or biweekly) accounts or I just pass on 'em. Usually, they're really out of shape (3-feet high or a foot over the sidewalks on the edge) and are going to make a real dent in my schedule.

For example, if my average stop in a day takes me 24 minutes and I take on one of these jobs and they take, say, three times as long, then I am taking an hour and twelve minutes out of my schedule. That means, on a full schedule day, I'm pushing back my regular customers. Three of 'em. Nah, I'll pass on that.

One of you said you would do it on your day off, or go camping instead? I like to spend time with my family, and my friends, and make plans with them. I'd rather tell the one-timer that I'm too busy to cut their lawn than tell the closest people in my life I'm too busy for them. Life's too short for that.

If I was doing the one-timer's, however, I'd charge double if they were in reasonable shape. Up to 10x as much if they were overgrown in every sense of the word. Remember, if they're in really bad shape, you're putting your equipment through the ringer. That'll cost you in the long run, I'd think.

If you have the time, do 'em. Maybe set a day aside a week, or every two, for just that. Figure out your normal rate, double that, and multiply it by how much more time it'll take you to do it. You stand to make a lot of money.

Time, however, is as valuable as money to me... ;)