One Tough Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Titans Fan, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

Wife was mowing a rental property today for the first time. Hadn't been mowed in about four weeks. Anyway, we walked over it and picked up lots of junk, but missed a BASEBALL BAT.

Yep, she hit a child's aluminum baseball bat. Hurled it across the yard and bent it in half.

But, our Scag was fine. No bent blades or bolts.

Maybe Scag will buy my story - lol.

2. southarkansascutter

southarkansascutter LawnSite Member

I was mowing a new lot last weekend on my brand new dixie chopper.....the original blades were still sharp......i walked it out and I guess I missed the trailer house tie down that I ran over....almost killed my motor...but other than a narfed up blade all was well.....I think I cleared 20 bucks after having to buy a new set of blades.......

2004 Dixie Chopper
    2004 Sutech Stealth ( I know, Iknow I found this website the day after I bought it)
    2 Shindaiwa t-231's
    shindaiwa eb630 b/p blower
    JD edger.....
    Stihl handheld blower

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

really, no bent blades? Wow! Have you take them off to check the balance though just to be on the safe side?

4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I was doing a lot that I had cut several times before on my Scag and I hit a Tie rod from a pickup truck. Someone must have put it there for me to hit because I know I would have hit it the first few times I mowed the lot. Anyway no damage except a chipped blade, and lucky no one was injured when it hurled that 25lb steel bar about 15'

5. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

I hit a brick once and almost cut it into half with my 36" scag walk behind. Only chipped blade. Still going and going and going and you get the picture.

6. grasscutter122003

grasscutter122003 LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I have two scag Tiger Cubs. I hit a piece of culvert pipe with my 61" and a water meter lid 2 weeks later. Bent the blade on the water meter lid, but no other problems. With the 48" Stc I hit a 1/2" piece of re-bar beside the street, fell off of a concrete repair truck. Chipped the blade but that was all. Scag blades are the toughest I've seen.:) :D

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what are the price tag for a set of blades for the scags?

8. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

My scag picked up a hardball and put it through a window faster than randy johnson. I have a question for all you that own scags with the new decks, how do they cut? B/C our 52 hydro has th the old deck and it is cutting really bad now , and has poor discharge. I would like to get another one though b/c the are really tough machines and was wondering if the new deck design discharges and cuts good.

9. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

funny you should say that........... my old style deck cuts much better than my new advantage deck ....... i did put a set of bobcat offset high lifts on the new deck ( 52) and they did wonders for the cut no more clumping or very little ( wish 48 bobcat blades fit my 48 scag there is 1/4 difference in length) anyway you are right scag makes one tuff machine

10. ScottsLCS

ScottsLCS LawnSite Member

While mowing at a 2 acre residential property with my 50' Gravely walk-behind, I hit about about two softballs. Also while mowing at a school with a 72' John Deere, I hit about 3 baseballs and 5 softballs in the season. All of these boogers were hidden in the grass and it was quite a surprise when they shot out of the chute. None of the balls did any damage, but they made a heck of a noise. Just recently, with my new Dixie Chopper, I was mowing a lawn that hadn't been mown yet this season. Everything was going great until I heard a loud bang and saw sparks and an object fly across the lawn and into a flowerbed full of lillies. It turns out that it was the head of a steel garden rake lying in the tall grass under a tree. :realmad: This chewed up 4 of my 6 blades (I use double blades), but, with a little bit of grinding, I salvaged the blades and they are straight and cut like a charm. :D