One trick lawn truck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, May 8, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The other day I saw this out-of-towner trimming along my route. Boy did this outfitt have one trick-n-slick lawn truck. I wish I had taken the camera along that dy and I also wish for my own self that I had been in a better position to get turned around to go back to check it out.

It was a straight box truck (not van) all lettered up nice w/ huge grapics on the side of the box and up over top of the cab. It was facing front towards the street, so I couldn't really see the back door area. But I could see an expanded metal ramp system that was still let down.

I for one had been wondering if there was any way to buy one of those trucks used from one of these furniture places and covert it to a lawn truck. I had my doubts because of how high they are off the ground and sice I've never seen a ramp system that might work. But I guess it is possible after all.

Seems like an awsome idea to me. An enclosed landscape truck. Hummmm.... sweet!

2. Superior Lawn Care

Superior Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I more thatn likely was a "Super Lawn Truck". Go to superlawntrucks.com and check them out. They run around 30 grand and have all sorts of cool stuff on them suck as a hydro ramp that folds off the back. my next truck just might be one if i start up another crew.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, same concept, but no it wasn't one of those. It was a longnose truck (chevy/ford/international/freightliner) instead of an Isuzu. The gate was expanded metal too. My guess is it was a custom conversion.

Anyways, if those Super Lawn Trucks are priced like that, it's a heck of a deal verses a big pickup because they start about there too.

4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Company in my area has a box van with a nice ramp setup. Its a GMC box van, not a superlawn truck. Only think how does he remove debrie. :confused:

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I inquired about SLT this last winter. Seems if I remember right it was starting out right at 48000 and with lettering, equiptment holder/tiedowns, fuel tank (mixed, diesel, unleaded). it was around 56 grand. You would definetly need a full route of premium lawns to afford that. Plus it is not something you want to take into tight older areas where you have to drive down the middle of the street in order to keep from hitting the trees.

6. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

There are moving van trucks around that have a dropped box body. A racing team had one to haul their racecar. It was a mid 70's Ford. It was nice because the ramps weren't too steep.

I have been seeing these ramp type lawn service trucks around lately. They are Isuzus. They have a flat bed with a beaver tail on the back with a fold-up ramp. Back in the 70's it was customary to use a ramp truck to haul racecars. I hate trailers and a ramp truck will serve two purposes for me. Haul my mowers during the week and haul my racecar on Saturday.

7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

There are a couple of those Super Lawn Trucks around here. I love the idea for dedicated maintenance crews. The only drawback is the dump box, located behind the cab. It won't handle large debris like limbs and such but for everything else it seems like it would be great.

8. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen some trucks similar, but with a large lift platform instead of a ramp. Large enough lift for a full-size mid-mount z, and at least one of the outfits here is using several trucks like that. AAALawns, with distinctive almost-lime-green paint. Any of you triple A guys on here?

Think of the neighborhoods with such short curb spaces between drives/mailboxes.