one wheel faster than te other?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by woodbutcher44, Mar 1, 2008.

1. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

I got a hydro wb mower and I cant get the thing to pull strait.

I have adjusted the linkage several different ways. The problem is that the pump on the left the new one is slower than the other. when i get it to run close to strait it walks in the stop location.
    Are the pumps adjustable ?

2. woodbutcher44

yes ,no,I dont know
    bump

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

What model/brand is this unit?

4. woodbutcher44

bunton 52/18
    it is an older model I can post pics

5. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok thanks for that, the problem now is that you said you have already started messing with your adjustments so we are going to have to take it back and find neutral and check for a few things.

1. You need to make sure both drive wheels have the same PSI and the tread heights are the same if one tire is lower then the other it will spin slower causing your mower to pull to that side.
    2. You need to check the connecting linkage @ your pumps or however the manufacture ties in the control levers to the pump usually some type of set screw/bolt(s) most times they become loose at this point and does not allow for full travel of the pumps. I set my hydro drive lever(s) to neutral or no forward speed and lock in the neutral locks on the hand controls (MOWER OFF/NOT RUNNING)then tighten the screw/bolt(s) on the connection this allows for a good 0 setting.
    3. Once this is done you can now jack the rear of the unit and set on stands and restart the mower and now check for creep on both wheels.
    4. Adjust both independently (however you were making you initial adjustments)till no wheel movement forward or reverse in neutral.
    5. Once you have no neutral creep you can set it back on the ground and recheck you drive and fine tune it from there.

6. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Also, if you replace one pump, you need to replace the wheel motor on that side as well.

And if the unit is old enough, if you replace just one side, the other side might not be able to keep up just becuse it's old and worn.

7. woodbutcher44

Ok Ive done as you said whenI have it set for neutral the new pump side is much slower than the older side.(as if the pump is restricted Ive only adjusted the linkage.
    Is there a flow control valve under a cover or internal on the pump.
    When hydros are ingaged with the handel on the control panek I have to squeze the right side (older pump) a fair bit to travel strait. the mower is a used and been around a bit but I got to stert some where.and I dont thinkIts worth investing much money in however I realy need to got a few months use out of it befor I can upgrade to something better.