One wheel velke and stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xi_bowhunter, Jul 16, 2006.

1. xi_bowhunter

xi_bowhunter LawnSite Member

Does a one wheel velke leave a wheel mark in your stripes? Considering buying one but before I do I would like to know for sure.

2. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Mine does. That's why I made a striping kit to try and make the stripe more uniform.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

yep mine does also, if I had it to do over again...............would get a 2 wheeled one, they will track behind the rear drive wheels and also handle the weight better. The 2 cons I can think of ...........a 2nd tire to go flat and the extra cost of the initial purchase

wayne

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the one wheel can turn sharper too.

5. xi_bowhunter

xi_bowhunter LawnSite Member

thanks for the info. anyone have more pros and cons?

6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Be extremely careful when backing up in reverse,i always hop off. Some of my guys have mastered backing up thou:laugh: :laugh:

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have one that I no longer use. The first year I walked. Then I bought a one-wheeled Velke, used it for a couple of seasons, but only on scrappy yards. The good ones, I still walked because I didn't like the stripe down the middle. Then I bought a ProSlide and discovered my mower would not work with ProSlide. Then I bought a BullRider, two wheels that track behind my drive wheels on the w/b. No longer do I have the unsightly stripe down the middle, even though the two wheeled sulky makes for heavier tracking than without.

I know of only one LCO in my area that continues to use a one-wheeled sulky. In general his work is so horrible, the stripe doesn't detract much. Everybody else has moved to two-wheeled sulkies for their w/b.

I really like the BullRider -- use it in trailer mode (caster mode will not work with my mower, for the same reason the ProSlide didn't work). My mower is a 36" Exmark Viking, hydro drive.

I would give somebody my one-wheeled Velke if they would pick it up.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I like the 'windowed' look you get from the 3rd stripe, not to mention the 1-wheeler never fishtails at high speed on straight aways (dunno what else to call it, but the 2x I used to have would wobble side-to-side, very annoying).

Anyway, here's the 'windowed' thing:
    some people say it looks bad but I think it looks neat...
    [​IMG]

9. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I have never used one myself (haven't run a walk-behind in years) But I have heard real good things about the pro-slide. It is a no wheeled sulky that is suposed to enhance striping of walk-behinds.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have the one wheeled velke and I like the stripping affect the middle wheel gives. Customers like it too so its a win win for all!!