One wheel vs. Two wheel velkie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patfo, Feb 7, 2001.

1. Patfo

Patfo LawnSite Member

I'm looking to add a velkie to my 36 in Snapper walk behind. Can't decide between the one or two wheel. I'm concerned about the wheel mark the one wheeler may leave down the middle, my dealer said "no big deal looks like two 18 in. cuts if even that noticeable." Does the two wheeler limit mobility and speed in the turns? Will the two wheeler whip or jacknife or tear up grass in the turn? What do you guys think is the better option? Thanks for any feedback!
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would recommend rocket wheels because they are attached as a solid unit to your machine and eliminate the need of jack-knifeing when turning around.

As for the lines on the turf I would not worry about it because nobody complains about them from 3-wheeled riders. I think they will be more worried about the trimming and edging and whether or not you left clippings in the cobwebs next to the downspout.

Hope this helps.
  3. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

If the rider is 100lbs. - single is fine.
    If the rider is closer to 200lbs. - Dual wheels.
  4. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Rocket Wheels are designed for hydro units and even then work best on heavier machines.

Trimmertrap makes another one called the bull rider which is dual mode. It is capable of pivoting like velke, jungle wheels, etc., or you can fix it to be rigid behind your machine just like the rocket wheel.
  5. kutnkru

In your professional opinion which style unit do you think to be more productive: pivoting or fixed.

Thanks for your input.
  6. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

7. kutnkru

Really. Hmmm.

Thanks for the info.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i have a two wheel velke very comfortable and strong

its on a jd 48" belt
  9. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Toro is coming our with some for their own mowers . I could not find them on the website yet. They remain attached to the mower and fold under the handle when not needed . They have two casters that pivet with the machine and my dealer said are totally sweet when he demoed them last week . He thought they might adapt to other midsize.
  10. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

No contest. I prefer the two wheeled sulky. It never pulls the operator away from the machine like the pivoting models do. I have used both.

Be aware that the two wheeled sulky is a little more tricky to transport, but nothing a strategically places shock cord can't remedy.