One Zone Has Something Growing In It

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by gregory, Feb 25, 2008.

1. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i have one zone on a 13 zone system at my house that seems to have something growing in it..its like some kind of mucus like stuff it clogs my filters on my spray heads..anybody know of something i can use or put in the pipes to get rid of this?

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

3. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

Kiril,

You come up with some good pictures!

I suggest you talk to your local supplier. Chances are they have seen this before in your area and can give you some suggestions as to what you can do besides calling the Ghost Busters!

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

What the hell? Where's the black guy?

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Good question. :confused:

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What is odd here is that it is only happening on one zone, not all zones. Are you sure it is not slugs? A mushed up slug kinda looks like mucous, and it wouldn't be the first time I have seen that happen.

The first thing I would do is try to determine the cause of the problem. Perhaps there is a leak in the line somewhere, or water is being drawn back into the line through a sprinkler. This might lead to enough nutrients being introduced into the line that encourages biological growth in between irrigations.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Is this system on a well ? It kinda sounds like bacteria. Flowing smooth thru the rotors but clogging the sprayers.

8. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

Could be a broken lateral where they are getting is as well. Have you been able to flush out at all after cleaning the screens giving you a temporary good spray, or is it giving you signs of a break in the line? If slugs, might try taking nozzle and screens off in a sequence to allow a good flushing of line, reinstall and do two or three more until flushed. See if that takes care of the problem.
    Has this been a recurring problem? What else is different about this zone than the others? Shade, up slope condition, tree roots...? AI has a thought, but I would think bacteria would affect even the rotors (if any) as well. Verify source water is ok. If municipal water, the chemicals in it might be killing the slugs, if that's what it is, and they are dissolving in the line. Try a flush and see if problem returns... Let us know what happens!

9. gregory

i am on a well..this is the only zone that i have this problem with..this is a spray zone..i have 3 other spray zones on the system..none are affected..this zone is in my back yard around a shed that has plants around it.. i can clean all of the filters out and run that zone to clean out the lines and its good for a few weeks or so but then the filters get clogged again and they don't spray......i don't think there is a break in the line on this zone b/c everything works great after i clean the filters out....it looks like some kind of algae or soemthing...the system had a fertigator system on it last year don't know if that had something to do with it but that system is no longer on my sprinkler system...i live in south florida everything is flat down here..tks for the help ..

10. gregory

yes this has been a problem for sometime now almost a year..seem to start after i took the fertigator off..i called them and asked them they told me no way there fertlizer system caused this...i took the fertigator off for another reason....i was thinking about cutting the line at the valve and pouring bleach in that zone and letting it sit for a few days then running that zone..all of the valves are above ground so it wouldn't be a problem on doing this.i also have a back flow valve on the system also...i already went to a local jdl dealer who handles hunter products and they have never seen anything like this before so they are no help..any other ideas?