One zone system help, won't turn off.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PLM-1, May 14, 2006.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I maintain a HOA's island. They had a 9v Rainbird single station controller. They wanted me to put in a new controller that is 110v. No problem, done it 100 times. Get it all wired (2 wires) and they come on but won't turn off. I try to turn it off at the valve and it won't turn off. The controller says they are off but aren't. Bad valve? The only thing i really mess with on systems are heads and controllers. Never really messed with valves or anything.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes bad valve

3. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

That's where I would look first

4. PLM-1

And you can determine it is bad how?

5. PLM-1

Did i maybe not hook it up correct? There was only 2 wires, common and hot. There are 2 other wires in the valve box, a green and white. Still a bad valve? If so, hard to replace. The box is full of water because the sprinklers were on forever and flooded it so i couldn't really look at it. The valve is on the backflow pipe.

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Does it shutoff when you remove the power to the timer?

If so, its not a bad valve. You guys are so quick to replace things.

7. PLM-1

Not sure, I didn't try that. If it's not the valve, what else could it be?

8. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

If its not closing on command then you have something preventing it from closing. Disconnect the wire to the soleniod, see what happens....then I would check for debris inside the valve and check the condition of the diaphram and solenoid for debris. What mode are you running the valve in?

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If it shuts off when you unplug the timer there is a short between the 24v output of the timers transformer and the zone wires.

I just had a thought, you replaced a 9 volt stand alone timer with a AC timer. Did you change the solinoid on the valve from a DC latching solinoid to a regular AC solinoid?

If its not either of that, then you probably have debris stuck on the diaphram of the valve. First try opening the bleeder screw on the valve (if it has one) and if that doesn't do it, shut off the water supply and dissasemble the valve bonnet, wash everything out, and reassemble. Worst case scenario you probably will just have to replace the top half of the valve, and won't have to cut the actual valve out.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Pump the water out. They make pumps especially for this problem or in Jon's case cups to bail. (JK Jon... I remember your fast food post.) :laugh: