One zone systems solenoide and clock

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mitjin, Jun 6, 2014.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I installed a Hunter XC at a golf course which just worked one station. The 9V battery lasted the enire summer May-Oct

What I have against the Node is the fact one would have the reach down in a valve box with who knows what in it and the programming is a nightmare for home owners.
  2. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Try having a HOA that is all battery op valves and had no wires run between valve boxes, PITA. On a related note there seems to be a bad run of Hunter DC latching solenoids I had one that would require constant power to actuate a valve and run that would require a longer amount of time to actuate a valve. My tech also had a similar issue.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

For a tiny-front-yard system costing less than $500 installed (can you tell this was a while ago?) you got an indoor controller and liked it. Besides, times two, there weren't any outdoor electrical outlets, and if there even were any, the in-use cover had not been invented yet.
  4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic
    Posted via Mobile Device

Cited Patent Filing date Publication date Applicant Title; US2916733 * Jul 26, 1957: Dec 8, 1959: Wilbert Hirsch: Cover for electric …
  5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

We used the node from Hunter, so far do good. Just had to program the controller to turn on the master valve in order to use them where I did. One zone left on the clock, no wires left, added three zones
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Wet_Boots

Patent schmatent. Those in-use covers were unknown in the field back in the days of Disco music.

There may be another cost-effective way to work valve control, if battery technology improves, along with solar power tech. Since conventional valve solenoids have some ability to work on continuous DC, a battery-powered solar-recharged control system might become the norm.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

DC actuators use a capacitor to provide inrush current high enough to pull the plunger of an AC solenoid up and maintain about 2.5 volts DC to provide holding current if I'm not mistaken. The problem is that they're battery eaters. I'm interested in your solar theory of why one would use an AC solenoid rather than a DC solenoid and what the advantage would be?

Bench testing an Armada pro48 actuator shows me max of 15.3 volts AC and a max 31.7 DC and .030 mA load.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

A latching solenoid (i.e. DC solenoid) doesn't need a holding current. I'm sure someone will correct me if there are DC latching solenoids where this is not the case.

Boss, I think a better question might be why not just use latching solenoids on all valves? What is the advantage for having an AC solenoid in irrigation valves?
  9. Wet_Boots

Weathermatic spec'd their brass valves with the S24B solenoid as capable of 12VDC operation, at 75 psi or less of supply pressure, so the concept of continuous DC operation from a strong battery kept charged by way of solar power, has been around for awhile, and is more do-able than ever.

There could even be circuitry to convert without great energy loss, the DC power to AC power, and to even tone it down from 24 VAC to something closer to the 18 VAC that is the actual spec'd opening voltage for most common zone valves.
  10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

18 vac doesn't allow for voltage drop so I doubt you'll see supply reductions.
    Posted via Mobile Device