Onions &dandilions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottb, Apr 16, 2001.

1. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Please for give any spelling mistakes. Have done several spring clean ups all lawns covered with Onions and Dandilions. Problem is I had to go cut them twice to get rid of them. Is this common. Im using a Toro wb Proline 48" fixed deck with gator blades. And yes they are sharpened and balanced and will cut grass like a sharp knife through butter. So do you guys have any advice as this would save me a lot of time.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Figure how much it would be to kill them. Tell the customer it needs to be done. If they don't care about the weeds. (lots of people don't) Figure up how much it cost you to mow twice all the time if it's cheaper to kill the weeds, kill the weeds. If not mow twice.

Just an idea.
  3. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Wild onions do not cut well with my turf tiger either, also them seem to sprout right back . We dont worry about them to much, double cut a few areas. We only a few yards with the onions, they tend to be very large lawns that dont recieve any applications.

[Edited by eggy on 04-16-2001 at 09:27 AM]
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Double blades will help with this. I think one big problem is using the Gator Blade if you are only using one blade per spindle. I've tried double Gators and it doesn't even cut well, so I can imagine a single Gator. I always use a regular or high lift along with the Gator except for leaves. I then use double Gator type blades and a Magic Mulcher.

I agree, getting rid of the weeds will help too. :)
  5. scottb

I think I will have to try the double blade thing. It will be easier to do that than convince these people of weed control. Now I will have to figure out the spacer issue.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm using single blades-Gator Magnums. The only thing it ever misses is big clumps of onions and that's only if I'm running the mower wide open.
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

what amazes me is how the little week spindly dandelion can pop right up after you run over it. little sucker ducks dont it. come to think of it i did start noticing this latter pt of last wk when i was running singles.
  8. scottb

Im not even running very fast. But I guess it knocks them over and then I have to go the other way to clip them. Would the double blades cause more of a lift. As that would help Im sure.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

3 options here. Go to doubles blades, hi-lift regular blades or Gator Mulcher hi-lifts (either regular or Magnums).