Online application on web site

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by CrumleyLandscapeMgmnt, Mar 3, 2008.

1. CrumleyLandscapeMgmnt

CrumleyLandscapeMgmnt LawnSite Member

I spoke with a web designer about having a page on my site that would allow someone to fill out an application for employment. He informed me that if I have a complete application ie. with social security it would need to be on a secure server (more money!). Any input from those of you who have this feature would be appreciated. I think that I could just use a simple form without any secure information, and have them fill out a complete app in person. I like this idea since I have a home office and don't neccessarily want my employees knowing where I live until they have been working for me for a while.
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

NO DONT DO IT.......

If it's on your web site you will be responsable for this information....

like you said it's too expensive.....

and besides do you really need that many employees ?

also "for me" I like to meet the people I'm going to hire...

Good luck
  3. CrumleyLandscapeMgmnt

Oh I definitely meet people before I hire them. I just think it would be a good idea to have some general info on people (not ss #) on file. That way if I need to hire someone I call them to fill out a formal app and set up an interview. Like I said with a home office I don't have a place for people to walk in and fill out an app.
  4. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

See how they follow instructions, put the information on the page tell them to send it back to you in a email filled out.
  5. CrumleyLandscapeMgmnt

Good idea! If that can't follow something that simple, can I trust them to follow instructions on the job?
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

employee's are just NOT that bid of a deal for me.

I may have been thinking of my situwation and NOT yours.

when I was in charge of hiring "for the computer field" I would recive several apps.

it was hard to go through all of them and make a decission who to call in and who to NOT.

I was thinking about the responsability issue's of it going on your web site.
    most people wheen in need of a job, take one rather quickly. I cant tell you haw namy I have called only to find them having allready accepting employment elsewhere.

mainly today with my LC. I just call up the unemployment office, this way it's all them.
    I too work out of the house, : FOR NOW : I have them come to my home. whitch is NOT nessarly a good ideal.

My point was to try to find out where your libiality starts and stops.

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on how it works if you decide to go for it.
  7. CrumleyLandscapeMgmnt

8. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

I don't believe you will have a very strong response from the landscaping field. Most guys/gals aren't very computer literate and/or they don't have a computer with internet access.

If you feel as though you must have a page for applicants just put a few simple fields for the to fill in: Name, contact number, years experience, description of experience, etc.
  9. CrumleyLandscapeMgmnt

Thanks, plus these (people who are computer literate and/or have internet access) are probably the ones that would rather own their own company versus working for someone huh?
  10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Just print out a paper application and have them fill it out. I believe you don't need their SS# until after they are hired and that information goes on a I-9 form.