1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

online equipment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green boy1, Aug 7, 2006.

1. green boy1

green boy1 LawnSite Member

Hi there guys, I was wondering, any one here buys equipment online?

I saw this website that sells redmax equipment very cheap like for exp:

the dealer close to my home they have the trimmer redmax 2401s for 299.95 plus tax and in the website is 259.99 and u dont pay tax and is new, not refurbished.

Any comments.:waving:
  2. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

So lets say that you save $40 (less shiping). Now 2 weeks later,you have a problem with it so you have 2 choices. 1 ship it back for service or replacement. 2 Take it to the dealer that you bypassed on the purchase. Either way you are down for at least a week.
    I try to buy everything localy,not that I like to spend extra money foolishly but service is on the spot,usualy within an hour. Time is money!
    Also if my money is spent here it stays here for the most part. Suport your local economy.
  3. green boy1

I get ur point but let say the back pack blower on the dealer is 559.99+7%tax = $598.00 and im planing to buy this one plus 2 trimmers $299.95 +7%tax=$641.89 so trimmer + blower= $1,240.00

On-line store: blower:$499.99(no tax applicable) 2 trimmers:$518.00(no tax applicable)

Saving= $223.00 That u can use for another tool.

And if u have 2 trimmers theirs not to much chance that u need to bring them at the same time to be repair right?

And this are actual prices on the online store. And theres no shiping charge if u spend $199.00 or more

just my 2 cents:laugh:
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Look, 40 bucks or 100 dollars on a thousand+ dollar purchase, what the guy was trying to tell you is you are not saving money considerable enough to warrant bypassing your local dealer. We're talking 5% one way or 10% the other, it's not enough...

Here's my rule:
    If it's not at least 30% off, don't even bother me.
    If it's 50% off, I'm there!
    If it's 70% off, you can wake me up at 4am and I will share your excitement at that time.

Now, I don't usually order online per se (thou I could) because I prefer to speak to someone on the phone so I have live feedback in case of stock shortages or item number / price differences, etc... But I get most of my parts from J-Thomas, their savings normally range anywhere from a few percent all the way to 50% which averages around 20-30% which, if you order in excess of $350 you get free shipping, and orders in excess of $1,000 get another 10% off on top (remember, this is parts).

For engines, I get mine from Small Engine Warehouse... A 15hp Kohler runs right around $500 w/ shipping, local from my dealer it's closer to a grand. Again, parts...

But for those kind of savings I'll short my dealer and take my chances because what we're telling you is once you short a dealer, they will not be as helpful when you bring things in for them to fix or whatever else it is you want, you may well get a cold shoulder or a 'who are you' response. And you need to know that, especially with equipment, if you don't know much about these things, you had better get at least 40% off on something in order to justify skipping out on the dealer.

This is my 5th year, and I just started skipping the dealer and sure enough, last time I went by they told me to check and see if Northern had what I needed (they were out... But they didn't even offer to order it), see what I'm saying... :)
  5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You must not be a legit operation. A legit operation would be paying USE tax on the items they buy. Also, if you have already made up your mind what you are going to do, then why post? You could have saved that additional 2 cents.
  6. green boy1

Why no paying taxes? because is out or the state of Wisconsin.

Im not doing business yet but im gonna start this next season.
  7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

What is the link? Name?
  8. green boy1

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

4th paragraph, or section. Also, the 5th one might help too.
  10. green boy1

I think ur not getting my point.

The company that sale the equipment don't charge the buyer tax sale because is out of State sale.

For example I bought a machine to clean grouth when I was living in Florida doing flooring) and because the companie was located up nort out of state of Florida they didnt charge me (the customer ) any sale taxes, and also was a internet sale.