Online equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Nov 29, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have my eye on equipment on speedway sales that is cheaper than buying from the dealers. But what if something happens to the stuff you buy? The local dealer is not going to check it out, Right? Would you ship it back and pay for the shipping? I got to thinking and thought just because it costs a little more, I should stick with the local dealers and pay the extra 30 or whatever bucks and get close service and parts. Buying stuff online is almost getting a quick 36. What are your thoughts on this?
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Buying online there is no dealer support. If you buy something online for example a Sthil your local Stihl dealer will do warranty work. But the dealer can choose what he wants to cover and the amount of time it takes for repairs. I would think the equipment he sells get serviced first.
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Your dealer may or may not check it out for you. I am currently employed at a dealer now and when equipment comes in that was purchased online or at home depot or lowes, it sits a while before we look at it.
    If a customer bought something from us and has a problem, we WILL bend over backwards trying to get the problem correctly as quickly as possible and we will do our best to get it covered under warranty. That is a bonus for customers who are loyal. I honestly think in this bussiness you need at least 1 dealer to be behind you in case of a breakdown or your bottom line could suffer! JMO
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

100% agreed Joe, I would never buy anything new that I would use on a daily basis from an on-line store for just those reasons. Between all of the lawn care and landscaping magazine's I get a month, the prices are the same if not a little more anyways, so I pay a few dollars in tax but I help support local economy and a local business. We talk about "customer loyalty" all the time in here and its not any different when it comes to buying from a local dealer, IMO.
  5. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Nobagger has nailed when he said..."We talk about "customer loyalty" all the time in here and its not any different when it comes to buying from a local dealer". My dealer will always help me out. If he can't get it done in a day or two, he'll give me a demo unit right then and there. It's not worth the 5% or so you might save on a purchase. Ask yourself this...which is more important....saving a little bit now, or having your butt saved when you're in a jam?
  6. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Check your price thoroughly. After adding in shipping costs, how much are you really saving? And I'll bet your dealer will come darn close the total price anyway.

In the end, I'm gonna support the guy who supports me.
  7. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

To give a example of it. I am looking to purchase my first z and i have checked every dealer in my area and on line for the best price. I have decided to go with the local guy because he told me he would loan me one if mine went down so that i would not be stuck without a mower . this you cannot get on-line.
  8. S man

I was wanting to get a redmax eb7001. On speedway, it's 429.00 w/ NOOO tax or shiping charge. It looks like a good deal. The dealer sells it for 449.00 + tax. It will cost more but will have the dealer support that is worth the extra.

Has anyone seen the 7001 for 463.00? Everyone around here sells em for that price except the dealer I mentioned.
  9. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Is the savings of $20 worth any amount of hassle?:waving:
  10. S man

It's acually more. 449 x .09 = 489.41 Dealer
    Online, 429 period.