Online Insurance Co for Lco ???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by peggyneckboy, Apr 14, 2008.

1. peggyneckboy

peggyneckboy LawnSite Member

Hello to all. Just getting my ducks in a row for new co. here on Md's lower eastern shore. I was wondering if there are any recommendations for insurance co's via internet that sevice the lawn service world?

I have not checked locally yet, I have this pet peeve with insurance co's, auto dealers and the like where once you go in for a talk they bug the crap outta ya forever and a day afterward trying to make that sale.

I just hate that and would prefer to just do it right over the internet.

If not, its off to the shark tank....:rolleyes:

Thanks a bunch and looking forward to regular visits here.

Ray M.

Somerset Lawn Service

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Ray, I assume you have insurance on your truck/car. Call them and see what they can do. I'm using my auto insurance agent and he's crunching numbers for me to get the best possible coverage for me and everything I own (home auto business). It will have a umbrella policy as well. It will cover every aspect of my business from driving to and from anyplace I go as well as any work I perform.

3. peggyneckboy

peggyneckboy LawnSite Member

Hi PLC and thanks for the reply. Yes I use Geico for Auto insurance and all done via internet. Never have seen a real agent,just do everything online and thankfully have never had to make a claim.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

You'll need to sit down with a agent and talk about all of your options. I called a different agent other then the one I'm currently using but in the same company and he found alot of things that are costing me more money that can otherwise be used to add better coverage that I wasn't aware of. Start calling some local agents and just price shop. I'm not sure if Geico offers business insurance or not.

5. VBsnow

VBsnow LawnSite Member

Do not use an online service for business insurance. It is too complicated. You need a person who is knowledgeable. This person is the only things that stands between you and ruin in case of a suit. The state does in fact allwo you to shoot yourself in the foot. It is a very complicated subject. It seems you are a small company as you are new. At this premium level I would not worry too much about being pursued.

Now onto Geico. No, Geico does not offer ANY commercial insurance. Nor do they offer commercial auto insurance. They do sub it out so to speak to other agents/companies. It would be better for you to have a direct line of contact with an agent that represents several companies and can speak with you one on one.

Ask your fellow LCO's that you respect what they do and who they use. Collect the info and come to the best conclusion. Good luck.

6. vacamper

vacamper LawnSite Member

Agreed, be careful with online quoting services such as Netquote, et al. These services sell or auction insurance leads to the highest bidders. Not necessarily the best agents for your situation.

7. VBsnow

VBsnow LawnSite Member

"Start calling some local agents and just price shop."

Really bad advice. Works the same in your business as in if you live by price you die by price. I am sure some of you are better than your cheaper competitors?

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If you have insurance with Geico do NOT even ASK about commercial coverage!
    They can and will drop you, yes, just for asking.
    Watch out with that co, there be dragons.

9. vacamper

vacamper LawnSite Member

Thanks Paul!

10. VBsnow

VBsnow LawnSite Member

Amen brother.

I think what we are saying is that Geico is not interested in commercial policies. If you have Geico on your work veh.s, you know you went wrong somewhere. Fix this Asap.