Online Landscaping Course

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Turf Medic, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone know of a GOOD online landscaping course. I am looking for a reputable online school that will allow a person to end up with a marketable degree in landscaping design, installation, and maintenance.

2. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

Turf
    Try Borders or one of the major stores. They have a few great books that focus on online degrees and certifications that have been rated. All of the applicable schools are fully accredited. I believe ASU might have one.

3. Turf Medic

Thanks for the input, I will check that out tonight.

4. lawn jockey

lawn jockey LawnSite Member

Hey turf I would be interested in that too,if you would could you let us know what you find out? Thank you

5. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

Also interested. Please post what you find out.

6. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

I know that a community college her in san antonio offers a one year (two semester just like regular college) landscaping degree/certification thing. thats what i'm doing come the next school year and its not so bad, 12 hours first semester, 9 the next, i can still have plenty of time to do work and all, but i will now go check out one of those bookstores to see. by the way, Arizona State Univ. or Angelo State Univ. or?

7. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

before these graduates of real colleges with real degrees in landscaping/horticulture/architecture get on me, i think its just a certification that says you know how to design, manage turf, do irrigation, manage a company, and construct the basics of landscaping stuff.

palo alto college www.accd.edu

8. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

yea u don't want the certificate if ur going to do something go all the way ...
    the certificate is as good as u just keeping ur money or puttin into buying more books and READING and COMPREHENDING themurselves....

after all its ur body of work that carries u in the long run.

If i were to do anything it would be at a 4yr university.
    or preparation for it.

The more the politicians crack down on things trying to draw money from the average person the more regulations will be put on things and therefore the more competence u will have to prove and thats what a 4 yr university shows on a Politically correct level.... What i am trying to say if i haven't already is
    the bigger the US gets the more money there has to be made to feed it and all its parts and once the LawnCare and the Landscaping etc.... fields get to be bigger money generators the more the politicians are going to pay attention to it and then they start slapping laws and licensing requirements on the practice
    and the certificate want add up to it in the long run. - this is just my opinion. But i think a valid one

but u have to pick out ur university ... ur final destination and then find out if everyone down the totem pole, if their course work will be accepted toward that higher diploma.

I think the accreditation u have to make sure of is if the college(4yr) is at least CAS accrediated. Thats a national accreditation organization that says hey this college teaches well rounded
    courses.

I am finishing up an Architectural Engineering degree now and found all this out to protect myself

GO TO http://www.asla.org

and find out what all they need from a university and ask them
    of any online colleges that they will accept course work from.
    Hell if u get half a degree from online thats not bad ...
    at least u can work and not have ur daylight time wasted by having to break 2 or 3 times for classes that are scattered through the day or week .. like i am now.. its sucks. i have to take about 4 or 5 showers a day before going to class.

IF anyone finds any good ones let me know or just post the links here....

Later....

9. Turf Medic

Well I went to Barnes and Noble, we don't have a Borders here, they had a couple of books listing online courses, however none for landscaping. I however did a google and a yahoo search for online professional landscaper degree and requested info from a few, I will post an update after the info arrives.

10. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

you know this is something that all of us need to be involved in.
    Because we are the ones that make a town what it is as far as outside appearances. The Architect designs the building but the landscape architects finish them.

If ur in the business u already or WE already have a heads up the hardest part is basically remembering all the Plant names and the Sciences (ex. zoology and chemistry and etc. ).

there should be an addition to this forum that needs to include education advancements.

Classes and Schools and etc...