Online Parts Ordering

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jkelton, Sep 7, 2003.

1. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

Just thought I would ask how many of you buy your lawnmower parts online (or at least have a dealer send them to you via UPS)? My father is a commercial lawn equipment dealer in Tennessee and I have seen somewhat of an increase in people having parts sent to them. He tend to keep a large amount of part inventory for the equipment he sells. I think it is the way to go, esp. for people who live far away from their dealer. We have discussed the possibility of expanding this aspect of the business. Any thoughts?

2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I should do more to support the local shops, but I buy on-line if the price is right. For instance, locally the tire sells for $110, online I can buy two at that price - I'm buying on line. But I probally only spend about 10% of my parts budget on-line at this point.

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the part & price. If it's an actual hard part, and on hand at dealer, I'll buy there, but, if it's a higher dollar part and I don't HAVE to have it right now, I'll shop via internet.
    As Steve said, some prices from a dealer on some parts are just too high to consider, tires being an excellent example.
    In your Dad's operation, I would think there are five keys,
    1- parts have to be on the shelf
    2- Advertising, local & national
    3- pricing
    4- Web site that's VERY user friendly
    5- speed of processing order

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'll buy some parts on line, through catalogs and from the dealer. It depends who has the part and how badly I need it.

5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I try to support my local dealer as much as possible without cutting my own throat. Some of the parts my dealer has quoted me prices on are thru the roof. For example, the belts on my mower cost almost 3 times more at the dealer. If I don't have a broken belt I'm ordering online. On the other hand he carries Gator high lifts for $14.50 ea. which is quite reasonable. I just bought 6 new blades from him for $87. Very compairable to what I would pay online+s/h. As long as you can keep your mark up to a minimum and stay competitive with others; why not give it a go.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I buy from whoever is cheapest, usually not the local dealer, unless i need it today, and its something they actually have in stock.

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I buy all of my regular maintenance parts online(filters, blades, etc) and i have a dealer out of town to get the major parts for. I refuse to buy anything else from my local dealer because i have been screwed too many times from them. The other dealer usually ships parts via UPS so they get here the next day.

8. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I never thought of buying equipment parts online. Buy most anything else.

Anything I need for the equipment I bought at the shop I buy from them. I have a fantastic relationship with them, and with that they treat me more than fair.

I need anything fixed on the fly. It gets done. Some small stuff they don't even charge me.

Your equipment dealer is your best friend

10. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

Amen Brotha!!!