online payments and websites

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by hobbsd, Jan 12, 2006.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

I am thinking of paying to have a website and online payment option for my lawncare co. Can anyone tell me if it really helps buisness? Does it get new customers? and do customers really use it?

Thank you

Dan

2. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

No, No, Not really

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Websites in my opinion (at least for this industry) are not really meant to draw in more biz. What they do: Give you a more professional image, Give people the opportunity to find out a little more info without having to talk to anyone, and they help with branding(because of increase exposure. Now as far as the payments are concerned. I do not know if you will see a significant amount of bill pays through your web. However, I am a believer in giving them as many options as possible to pay you. That way if they do not pay they have know excuse.

4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Agreed. But habits are changing and people are using the web more and more for shopping anything and everything, your services included. So for ten bucks a month to help your branding effort and possibly snag a sale or two more than without it, why not. As far as accepting payments, there is an entire sea of methods for accepting online payments. Start by doing a google search for that phrase "accepting online payments".

5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I have had one lead from my website in one year, didn't land it.

I offer paypal online paying and no one has used it. Costs me $95 a year through ipowerweb.com

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that people use websites more for reference for service companies, compared to actually buying and paying for stuff on it

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I almost had 50/50 on phone calls and emails for estimates last year. Which is great, because I can answer emails at any time. I just picked up a snow customer that I conversed with solely through email. I include my website on all advertising, everywhere I put a phone number. Folks around here are computer savvy and use the web just as much as a phone book. I've got an add in the yellow pages website, as well as other local web portals. I certainly do get new business and make money thanks to my website.

As far as online payments go, look into Billing Solutions through quickbooks. You don't have to host an online payment center to do that, it's all through them, completely secure, and hassel free.

8. tiedeman

from earth

Tom, you have to tell me your secret. How do you get that many emails?

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Like I said, I push the site. You can't just make a site and hope people show up. There are local registries for websites like phonebooks for phone numbers. Crosslink, use meta tags, do whatever to get your site on a search engine (except pay, that's a rip off). Cross promote with other local websites as well. If you put it out there, people will use it and come to you. Everything I have my phone # on has the website address. Tshirts, cards, truck signs, postcards, fliers, phone book, everything.

10. tiedeman

from earth

the thing is that I do put it on everything; yellow pages, letterheads, business cards, search engines, marketing material promote with other businesses...it is on everything. Yet I am lucky to get 2 to 3 people call me or email from the website