Online plant guide

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lakegastonla, Feb 28, 2002.

1. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

OK, I've got a question, guys(and gals). Is there a website available where I can look up a particular type of plant by name and get care and pruning tips? Thanks

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

For pruning tips specific to plant variety, check out Ortho's book, "All About Pruning." It's an EXCELLENT resource.

As for plant guides online, I recommend this site; http://www.orst.edu/dept/ldplants/

It doesn't necessarily have care and pruning advice, but it's a great resource and will also help you by giving you many pictures of what the natural form of the plants look like, which is the key to pruning anyway.

Here's a tip for you in regards to pruning; if you'll read a few books on the subject (the one above being one of the best around) and study the natural form of plants and trees, you should be able to look at almost any plant or small tree and tell exactly how it is supposed to look and how it should be pruned without consulting any book at all.

I still don't know all the names and care info for all plants, shrubs or trees. But I can look at almost any one of them and tell, just by the structure and form, how it's supposed to be pruned. That ability came to me pretty quickly once I had read up on correct pruning techniques and became more familiar with plant structures and form.

3. nubbie

nubbie LawnSite Member

LAWNGODFATHER

You always have these great sites filled with info. Do you have any for the Western New York region? Anything you have would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you for helping a new guy!!

4. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all replies. Good stuff!

Kev.:D

5. I got lucky on that one.

All I did was type "pruning plants" in the go box on my browser.

6. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

plantfind.com

Also, try checking your local am radio stations. They focus on local gardening tips for the area you are in. Good luck.