1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Online source for native tree species?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by turnipgreen, Apr 5, 2005.

1. turnipgreen

turnipgreen LawnSite Member

I hope I chose the right forum. I've got over an acre in central Alabama that needs trees planted. I want to use native trees, but for some reason local nurseries like to carry exotic things. I'm looking for a place to get blackgum, sourwood, fringe tree, etc. Anyone know of a place online with good prices and good plants?

Thanks

Ron

2. akerr

akerr LawnSite Member

Heritage Seedlings in Oregon will have everything you need. I think the address is www.heritageseedlings.com. They supply growers so their stock might be smaller then what you are looking for, but for a naturalization project it would be perfect. Your cost would be lower, because you would get larger quanities that are smaller in size. It would be the way I would go because you will be able to see the evolution of the woodland.

Good Luck

3. turnipgreen

turnipgreen LawnSite Member

Thanks. That's the kind of place I'm looking for, but they didn't stock some of the things I needed due to them being in the northwest and me being in the southeast. And, I'm not sure i would need as many trees as I would have to order to qualify for their minimum order.

Any other suggestions?

4. vharrison2

vharrison2 LawnSite Member

5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Try http://www.woodywarehouse.com

Though I think they really only sell to wholesale customers. Haven't used them at all, can't give a recommendation either way.

Dan