only as good as your last performance

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TPnTX, Sep 21, 2007.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a backyard makeover earlier this year. It was actually kind of small but the setting and size allowed me to get pretty creative. I used a few hostas, variegated pittosporum, loropetalum, ferns, natchez crape myrtle and a nice size bloodgood jap maple just to name a few. Those colors combined with the cedar fence moss rock boulders for edging and some rusted tin art pieces really turned out beautifully unique.

When finished the husband arrived home from work and we started talking. He never said anything about the landscape though. So I asked "well...." he said Oh my gosh it's awesome I love it.

Okay...The the wife arrived. She looked around and didn't say a word. So I asked well....? She said Wow its better than I ever expected... I love it.

So I got paid and never heard from them again. Until this week. The Mrs's Father called me. He said he absolutely loved what I did at his daughters house and that he's got a backyard that needs something interesting done to it.

I thank him for the call and setup and appointment. Yesterday I went to his house and my jaw is still dropped from what I found.

This guy lives on a corner lot in a very very VERY prestigious part of North Dallas. His house is so huge about 6000 sqft. It's a literal mansion. It's so fine and upscale it's one of those houses you see in movies or magazines. Im not some hick thats never seen a nice house before. It's just an awesome place.

Well his backyard is huge and pretty well landscaped but it's boring. He wants everything ripped out and made interesting. He said you have a clear slate to work from. He gave me guildlines and plats, surveys, elevation drawings. Everything I need.

The patio is coming out and replaced, a new sidewalk about 140ft, new extensive french drain system, either remove or relocate a garden fountain. Patio cover and of course landscape beds and plants. It's about 7-8k sqft yard.

wow. Im having a little trouble knowing where to start design wise. But I'll get there.

I just had to write this down. I wondered what fall projects would come my way this year. I'm humbled by this one though.
  2. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Congradulations on getting this job! Make sure you take photos along the way and post a few here.:rolleyes:
  3. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Me personally? I'd start at the beginning...

Just messing with you. Sounds like an awesome opportunity. Absolutely post pictures!
  4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

If you feel intimidated by this, get help. Bring in an architect or designer to help you create a paradise. This sounds like an amazing opportunity, take advantage of that and make this a showcase of your work.

Set your plan out from whatever is not going to be changed and work from there. Attend to drainage and soils first, then go to hardscapes and structures, pools and spas, then move on to the plants, trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals and finish with containers of fresh color and garden art. If you are working with a known budget, it will be easier for you to asses the wants and needs of your client.

5. TPnTX

I've got some ideas but first things first.

The layout of their backyard is the biggest problem. Theres a round are coming off the patio to the pool that has a fountain. They want it ripped out and replaced.

At the same time I want to get rid of the sqaure to linear design they are stuck with and create a more curve-to-linear layout.

Luckily I can do this without adding to the pool deck. Instead some cuts can be made that will dramatically change the shape.
  6. TPnTX

here is what I mean

7. TPnTX

another shot

8. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

NICE JOB! Be consistently good, the work will spread.

p.s. i wouldn't mind some update pics either:cool2:
  9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

send it to me, and ill give you 5% of the total price of the job. :)
    give me a call 214.475.1563
  10. TPnTX

here is a shot of what I have to start with.