Only dealer going under!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

There are basically two dealers of mowers in my town besides Wal-Mart, Lowes, TSC, K-Mart, and Ace. One is called Kinnison's and they sell Snapper/Simplicity/Echo. They did sell Stihl until Ace started carrying them. The other dealer is Rife's Equipment and they sell Hustler, Everride, and Shindaiwa. Kinnison's is in town and Rife's is a little ways out in the country. There is also a John Deere dealer that sells everything John Deere. Anyways, Kinnison's is going out of busines July 30th, 2005. We are down to one dealer and Rife's can't be doing that well. He is out of town and most people haven't heard of him. I think he should buy Kinnison's so he will have a nice showroom and some added hype to his business. Now, you have to drive atleast 20 minutes to find anything except Hustler. I like Hustler being in town, but It kind of sucks having no variety. I'll probably be able to buy a trailer of Kinnison's. It is the same color as my Ford Ranger XLT, but may be to big to tow with much on it. It is around 7' X 16'-18' and is rusting in several places. It does have one of the gate lift assists on it. What do you guys think it is worth? It would be something nice to start out with before I get my Hustler Super Zs, Ford F-150 5.4L, Closed Landscape Trailer, and McDonald value meals. Hey, it could happen. Thanks for any ideas on the the trailer price.

-The NRH

2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

All of that equipment is crap anyway.. Not going to miss a dealer like that.

Trailer probably $1250 +/-

3. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I doubt you could pull that trailer with a Ranger safely.

Sounds like you should start looking at becoming a Deere fan.

Best of luck.

4. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

...or a Hustler fan. Either way, I'll need a bigger wallet. I agree that the dealer sold crap, but they're in town and will fix almost anything. I made the mistake of buying a Snapper and I dislike it very much. If I don't mow low, it looks like crap. The stripes just seem too thin, but it is probably just the grass I'm cutting. On my yard that are mostly weeds, it looks great cutting low. I didn't take care of the deck last year and it is already rusting out pretty good (bought it in April '04). My Toro kills it on most yards anyways, so I could care less after this year. It seems like the 22" Toro cuts a path 2"-3" wider than the 21" Snapper. It is a significant difference. Has anybody else noticed this when comparing the Snappers to other models of push mowers?

5. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

ive got a old Snapper 21 inch push bought in 1992 we use it around the house, man that deck has to be cast iron or somthing. It hasnt really been run a lot this year needs some work done on it. I love the thing cept for i cant bag with it

6. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

How low are you mowing? In Ohio you should be looking at fescue, KBG and rye I imagine.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

For me, unless a person/place just flat out deserves it, I think it sucks to watch anyone or anything go out of business. Just sucks. Gloomy.

I was also once in the same position as you with very little selection. But many of the brands worked themselves in before the economy tanked. But a lot of the equipment sucks, and a lot of the dealer suck who have to good equipment. So I have taken my business out of town. I hate it's had to come to this, but either the equipment or the dealer just didn't earn my business and I gave them all a fair shot.

I drove 80 miles one way to buy my last mower and as it turns out, I'm still getting better service, even from 80 miles away. So all I can say to the 'local yocals' is sorry, I have a business to run, better luck next time.

As far as the trailer is concerned, I think you might find yourself sick with such a wide trailer unless all the roads are nice and wide in your area. A 7' trailer is so wide and also sooo much wider than a Ranger. It's no fun to pull on narrow winding roads like we have here. I tried a factory 6.5x16 and was sick with it, because this factry 6.5' happened to use the same axles as the 7' did. I don;t recall what the actual track width was, but it was nothing but a pain to tow. It was always dropping off the shoulder or riding the center line. Just didn't work out.

Most landscapers can get by just fine with a 6' or 6.5' wide trailer with a reasonable track width. In fact, the majority would be just fine with a 6' wide trailer, even with big 60" mowers. I don't bag or run 72" mowers, so a 6' wide trailer will haul anything I need to haul.

You can fit everything you currently have listed on a 4x8. But if you are going to add just one Super Z and use 3 or less 21"... I would encourage you to get a double axle 6x12 trailer. It will pull real nice, have room to spare for balancing the load and have some extra space to boot.

I have a 6x10 single axle that I tow behind my Ranger, which is good for those tight places to park and turn around. It pulls well for a single axle and I'm amazed what I can fit on it. I can haul one Z, and some trim mowers. Or with lighter stuff I can haul one lawn tractor w/dump cart connected on one side and two 21" mowers on the other. But you are not going to put two big Z's on it or one Z and some trim mowers on it in whatever arrangement you prefer.

For instance, you could haul one Hustler Mini Z and four 21" mowers. But the Mini Z size mower rides best on the 6x10 single with the rear tires centered over the axle. So front to back that means one 21" cross ways on the front, Mini Z in the middle and then three 21's side by side on the back.

So if you haul more than one 21" mower, that means you have mowers that must come off every stop to get to the rider. Or if you go with a full size Z, the 21" mower/mowers must ride in back because of lack of room in front after balancing the load of the big Z.

So you should consider a double axle 6' or 6.5 by 12/14/16 with BRAKES in my opinion.
    And forget any dreams about pulling two Z's until you upgrade to a big truck.

A 6x12 with brakes will hold as much or more than you can safely tow.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Envy has a lot of good points in his discussion about trailers. I towed a 6.5'x16', tandem axle trailer with a 1992, Toyota pickup. It was pretty scary at times. Stopping was the biggest problem, even though one trailer axle had electric brakes. I would not go bigger than maybe 6x10, with the Ranger towing. The bigger the trailer, the more you tend to cram on it. Then you are towing more than the truck can safetly handle.

9. pcguy

pcguy LawnSite Member

Take Route 49 South to Englewood. There's a great dealer on Route 40 about a mile east of 49 called Wagoner Power Equipment. They sell Bobcat, Bunton, Simplicity, Snapper, Dixon, Wright Standers, and Ventrac along with Redmax trimmers/blowers. I think they also have some Little Wonder push blowers. Its family owned and operated, they'll take good care of you.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you will just have to travel a bit for a dealer if you dont choose the local one, no biggie, you might want to think about growing a little slower, one of the first reasons a business fails is premature growth......

good luck , you can come west and there a lots of reputabe dealers around here....