only expert opinions please!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by REENO, Jun 21, 2005.

1. REENO

REENO LawnSite Member

with hills in mind would a riding mower be best or a w/b?

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Walk behind has a lower center of gravity...and not only am I an expert...I slept at a Holliday Inn Express last night ;)

3. JOEWOOD

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

4. JOEWOOD

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

but I can brive a dus!

Joe... :waving:

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Here in the NOVA/DC area I've seen both. You can do a fair amount of hills with a ZTR, but you can do them all with a WB.

Here at G-town we use both. Both machine have their niche. Just don't expect to ride a velke on a hill behind a WB unless you are going Down hill ;)

6. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

With a owner of both a wb is the way to go.

7. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

A w/b is more effecient on hill,even with a smaller deck than a ztr you can make better time........simply because you can steady cut instead of haveing to be constantly trying to keep the ztr stright and on the hill!

8. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

I have both as well....

Call me lazy but it seems that all the hills I recently bought a new WB for, are now getting the Z treatment... I started out cautious and now I seem to be getting more daring...... I may be selling the practically new 04 48' Metro...

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I'm with ztoro... We use the walkbehinds less and less. We squeeze the big ZTRs into places they shouldn't be able to fit, and use them on hills way past the "safe" point.

(this is, of course, hypothetical. I would never advocate unsafe practices...)

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I use the Walker 52SD for the hills and the Toro Z for the flats. I own a WB but it doesn't get the hills unless the Walker isn't on the trailer.
    The Walker has the low profile tires and with a center of gravity that is as low or lower as a walk behind, I'm riding.
    Whatever you do, have a dealer set you up with a demo before you buy, Nothin worse than buying something you "thought" might work.