ONLY for Those Who Bag Leaves

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by 85mm/1.4, Dec 19, 2010.

1. 85mm/1.4

85mm/1.4 LawnSite Member

What size bags do you use?
    What is the largest number of bagged leaves you've had at one account?
    How long did it take to complete the job?

The most I have ever done (solo) is about 25 bags weighing 40 lbs+ each(leaves went through vac first) using 55 gallon bags.

It took me quite a while to finish the job. I'm not the fastest guy around, but I would like to hear what some others are doing to speed up the process of bagging leaves. Thanks
  2. lawnboylova

lawnboylova LawnSite Member

bagging it very slow but will work best bags ive found were the black yard bags cost more but worth it
  3. Lawncutting27

Lawncutting27 LawnSite Senior Member

I blow out the bushes, mow over everything to reduce then blow what's left into piles. Then I shovel it into those giant home depot garbage bins, I think they are 55 gals. the biggest they have anyway.

Then I put a bag over the bin and turn it upside down, I pull out the bin and then I have a full 42x48 heavy duty bag full of leaves. I also have a bunch of 1" holes drilled into the bin so air won't create a vacuum.
  4. Lawncutting27

Lawncutting27 LawnSite Senior Member

go to a janitorial supply store and by them by the box. I get 100 heavy duty 42x48 bags for about $22 less then half the price of home depot and better quality too.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I always feel that we're doing mother nature a disfavor by bagging leaves,
    we're basically turning what would have been perfectly good organic waste that
    would normally decompose in one year...
    Into something that will now take 400+ years to do the same.
  6. 85mm/1.4

85mm/1.4 LawnSite Member

That's a good price for 100 heavy duty bags. Do you purchase locally or online? Thanks for the reply.
  7. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I like to use the 3mil thick bags. Some call them contractors bags. I put about 60-70 pounds in them of leaves. My mower shreds them into mulch and into my bagger. The most I ever had on one job was 20 bags.
  8. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

I use contractor grade bags when I did bag, That was last year. I have a leaf loader now I just bring huge piles to the back of the trailer and suck them up. I'll never bag again.
  9. exmark user

exmark user LawnSite Senior Member

Why bag them?
  10. Brentster

Brentster LawnSite Member

In Houston, we're now required to use the compostable bags at about 40 cents each. The maximum size allowable is 33 gallons and are just dreadful to have to use. They're so flimsy and clingy that they require two people to fill them in a timely and less nerve racking manner.