Only one side of each blade is worn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siclmn, May 22, 2004.

1. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

It's a new 36 inch Toro and only one side of each blade is beat up. Do I just need to level it? After it's level will the blades wear evenly? I know about the front to back rule of the front being a bit lower and the question is will that make the blades wear more on one side?

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Sounds like the mower is leaning to one side. Check for level from side to side. Could be a low tire or not using the same number of spacers on the front casters. How does the finished cut look?

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Over how much time have you noticed this problem? I can think of nothing that would cause only one side of a blade to wear and not the other.

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

when you say one side, are you talking on either side of the bolt hole or 1 of 2 blades?

5. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

I think he means if one end of blade is "A", and the other is "B", it's wearing on "A".

I had same problem on a 54" deck. Cut was still good.
    Nobody ever figured it out.
    :confused:

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have this problem with only one set of blades or has it been going on for a while?

I have seen this problem with edger blades back when they were heat treated. One end would wear faster than the other.

It's possible but not probable to run into a bad batch of blades.

Jim