Only Way To Make Money In This Business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Feb 6, 2006.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

36 INCH WALK BEHIND, FULL SIZE TRUCK, TRIMMER, BOLWER. THATS IT..
    ANY OTHER WAY THESE DAYS YOU CANT MAKE MONEY IN THIS BUSINESS:nono:

2. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I am definitly a fan of smaller is better. However, I hae not gotten that extreme. Good Luck!

3. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

a 36" wb would sure take a while on some of my 3 or 4 acre properties.

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

36 - depends what your mowing?? 5000 sq ft or 5 acres.

5. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

If you know how to run a business, larger can mean better. Look at Donald Trump!

6. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

good point, i bet the donald would have a kick ass lawn care company with his money.....haha

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Milo, what equipment do you run?

8. milo

well trust me in time you will see when you really start looking at what you really make and the cost to operate. 36 inch, truck, blower trimmer. soon i will be going back to this system and making some money and not putting it all back into equipment, repairs, storage fees. bigger in this game is just more cost when you really look at the numbers oh and your time to.

9. milo

now i have 3 ztr and a stander and 2 wb, 21 inch mower, 2 trimmers and 3 blowers. i take out 2ztr and 21 inch mower and 2 blowers and 2 trimmers every day.

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have 10 riding lawn mowers from Steiners to bobcats to a Walker. My wife runs the equipment and I service it. We make money cutting grass but we make just as much money selling equipment and other stuff and the sellling is far easier than the cutting. Almost everything we own is for sale for the right price (not the Walker) if someone comes along and wants it we take the money and it is gone. I then take that money and buy more stuff. This is the same as any business you have to work it to make money. It's not going to fall on your lap. People always ask me why I have so many mowers, why don't I just buy one brand new one and use it. Different lawns require different equipment but the big reason is I can make good money selling the "back up" equipment. We usually have about 20 to 25 ads in the local tri ad with items for sale. Around here I'm not sure you could make a legal living just cutting grass we're just a little too rural and most people cut their own grass and the rest don't want to pay much. Our clients are Doctors, real estate agents, and other people who have no time to cut their own.