onsidering moving up from 21 inch to 52 Wright Stander - any advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ITL, Jun 29, 2005.

1. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Lawnsite Team

We mow residential properties from 5000 to 20,000 (most at 8000 to 10,000) square feet and 2 church properties of 60,000 and 80,000 square feet(2 acres). These are all cool season grass lawns in our areas that don't need height changes yard to yard. None with width limiting fence gates for rear access. Not a lot of trees to cut around. Moderate use of mulch beds with some grass covered landscaping berms. We currently use 21 inch prolines and a belly mount 44 inch lawn tractor for the rear of the churches. Looking to gain efficiency by reducing our time spent mowing. Initially started looking at a 36 to 44/52 inch twin hydro Walk behind (TT ESC Exmark) but have also been thinking a 52 Wright Stander might be a better selection for efficiency. The Stander seems to be more capable on the smaller residentials due to its short overall length and the open church properties could use the higher speed of the Stander whithout having to use a velke.

Are we heading in the correct direction thinking the 52 inch Wright Stander will be a good fit? Any other thoughts. I will likely ask dealer for a one day demo before we purchase but would like some advice before doing that.

We normally mulch and plan to add the mulch kit if we go with Stander. If we go 52 Wright Stander Dealer thinks 19 HP Kawasaki is best choice. I am leaning toward the 23 Kohler or Kawasaki to gain a little power for heavy spring growth with mulching kit installed and mulching leaves in the fall.

Thanks for your advice

2. DownSouth

DownSouth LawnSite Member

my freind has a wrigth stander and he loves it..very fast and efficient. ive ridden on it and its a great ride..im saving up for one right now.
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Definitely get the 23 or 25HP..you'll be glad you did. The 19 may be a little underpowered in juicy TF and BG lawns . The Standers are awesome machines, we got 2 last year in June. You will really notice an increase in production as well as a lot less fatigue at the end of the day. We can fit 2 48" Standers and a 21" toro Proline on a ten foot trailer...wooohooo!!! it's actually raining here right now..c'mon baby, RAIN!!!!
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have them and they are the best thing since sliced bread on the small compact properties. I have 3 standers and love them to death. Its the only machine that can go from postage stamp lawns to 3 acres and still be productive. I got rid of my wide area walkbehind and ZTRs. I soon will get a 32" stander and my last walkbehind is gone.

O yea the 19hp isn't enought when mulching. You need a 23 hp or bigger on the 52". I got 17hp and its now a joke compared to my 25hp model. Get the kawi. You will never have a problem with them.

I get 3-52" standers and a 32" walkbehind in my 7 by 16' enclosed trailer.
  5. tnturbo

tnturbo LawnSite Member

I used to have a Great Dane stander and it was great for properties like you are describing. I don't believe you would be happy with the 19hp though
  6. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Like everyone is saying, get the 23 or 25HP. We have a 23HP and it is amazing when it comes to tall wet grass or stacks of leaves because it won't bog down at all. When we made the switch to Wright, we couldn't have been happier because of the increased productivity the machine provides.
  7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

get a 52" stander, it will blow your mind! they can go just about anywhere. like others have said get the 23 or 25HP, you won't regret it. 19 or 20 HP is underpowered, in my opinion.
  8. Yamaharacer989

Yamaharacer989 LawnSite Member

I own, and will always own a 52in Wright Stander. It does awsome on banks and ditches, and lays down a great cut w/ great effiency.
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

You mean you are buying your first "Mower" not moving up
  10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My main concern with the standers has been the weight of the machines. It seems to me that on soft wet ground, a stander with it's extra weight would tend to sink in and rut where a w/b would not. Maybe I'm way off here. Sorry if this is a little off subject but if someone could advise me in this area I would greatly appreiate it because I too had thought of getting one in the future. Thanks, again.