Onsite Mulch Transport

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by crhoades68, Jan 18, 2010.

1. crhoades68

crhoades68 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I'm planning on selling much more mulch this year so am curious about the following.

1. How you get mulch to the customer's site?

2. Once onsite how do you transport it to the mulching location(s)?

I have a personal trailer/wagon (6' x 4') that I have outfitted with sides for home use (pick up debris and haul mulch, etc.) Does anyone use something similar or do you just use wheelbarrows or something much pricier?

Thanks for your feedback!

2. martinslandscaping

martinslandscaping LawnSite Member

we use 1 ton dumps

3. lawnboy852

lawnboy852 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I put a big "commercial" duty plastic tote on the deck of my walkbehind and strap it down with stretch cords. The totes are cheap enough to be easily replaced, and durable enough to not need it too often! Also its easier than using a wheelbarrow, faster, and can usually carry more. Plus it dumps pretty easily, just undo the back cords, and push it over the deck. Or if doing smaller areas, its nice to be able to fill a bucket from the large tote

4. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

We use a 1 ton dump to get to the site and either pitch fork it off or load it into wheel barrows depending on where it has to go.

5. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I think a wheel barrow would work well, I like the walk behind idea, sounds neat though.

6. whitebp1

whitebp1 LawnSite Member

dont take this the wrong way but since people have answered the question i would suggest you drive around town during the early part of the landscape season and watch how some of the other companies out there do it. it will give you the genral idea and then you can tweake your style from there.

7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 16 x 7 foot open trailer with 18" sides. It can hold 7 yards of mulch easily. We trailer the mulch to the customer site and use pitch forks to fill wheelbarrows to get the mulch from the street to the beds. The only other way I have seen it done is with a blower and those were very large jobs.

8. jeffslawnservice

jeffslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Since I'm just starting out and don't have a dump yet. I use a half ton pick up, wheel barrows, pitchforks, and those wid plastic shovels. Works good for me.

9. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

on bigger jobs (more than 6 yards) i rent a bobcat mt52 i can do 10 yards in a few hours by my self.

10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you worry about it tearing up the lawn?