Ontario is banning pesticides tommorrow.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bill8379, Apr 21, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

And, apparently, Quebec already has and has the toughest laws re. pesticides in North America.

They better still fog for Mosquitoes:canadaflag:

Anyway, I'm wondering what happens to Weedman and co.s like that when laws like this go into effect. I was thinking of offering this service, I live in Manitoba so we're good to go here... for now.

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Further evidence to support the fact that our northern neighbor's government lacks much if any common sense.

(But then again...who are we to talk ?!?)

:canadaflag::usflag:

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Marcos

It all started in Canada with Leaf blowers banning and now Florida has passed new Fertilizer laws. While I can and will stay compliant with the present law, I am worried about future laws.

I don't want to open Pandora's Box, And Green is good. But it is about time for some common sense. Nuke Electric and Pumping Oil from our own vast reserves from Alaska, Montana and the Gulf of Mexico would help solve our energy problem. Which BTW is a man made problem to make the rich richer.

4. Marcos

You didn't state anything I don't agree with.
    ....and we've got to do it all because it's, again, "COMMON SENSE", and not part of a Gorist, or U.N.-driven political hoax or scheme, the false doctrines like what is o-so-popular for the stupid ignorant "global warming" lemmings to follow these days. :hammerhead:

But in the long term everyone has to come to the realization that there has to be more sensible and logical....and yes..SAFER ways of obtaining energy.

For example:
    The research being done right now at different points worldwide on harnessing sea currents is absolutely AMAZING in it's potential !!
    They've got some work to do, though, especially with making sure various ocean species aren't affected.
    But you watch ! I believe this is GOING TO happen BIG TIME in the near-future !

And where's the world's STRONGEST underwater sea current ??
    Right near you, Ric....just out past the tip of Florida !!!
    :usflag:

5. bill8379

Why don't you go talk about renewable energy in the off topic forum.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bill

I think we would rather stay ON topic and talk about the subject you started. GREEN VS COMMON SENSE. Whether we talk about Pesticide bans in Canada or Fertilizer laws in Florida, it is all about Extreme Green.

Year back DDT and Chlordane were taken off the market in the USA. DDT was ban world wide. Today both DDT and Chlordane are being use in most all 3rd world countries because the good it does out weights the little bit of bad. This is the Common Sense I am talking about. Renewable energy is a great long term goal. But because of the present energy crunch we need short term fixes. Banning pesticides is an extreme move and the impact will be felt down the road. Any law that doesn't take into account Complaints of that law is a bad law. The General public will not comply to a general pesticide ban the same as it didn't comply to Prohibition.

7. bill8379

More and more people are buying organic food.. people are going green for whatever reason. It's like the smoking laws they got now, No Tax is too much. No smoking indoors etc. For a long time I boycotted coffee shops that had no smoking allowed. I seen them go from them having designated smoking sections, then to having those sections cordoned off by glass and then NO SMOKING at all inside. Now they are banning people from standing too close to the entrance when they smoke outside.

Once the majority gets behind these idiot politicians to the point where they feel they have to run for office on promises of restricting rights it snow balls.

As far as pesticides, I'd prefer they NOT be put on foods. I'm kind of on the fence.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bill

Marketing is like politics, The more you put crap in the public's face the more they believe it. Look at how many will buy Scotts turf builder 29-2-3 at 5 times the price because it says SCOTTS. You can get the same response with straight urea.

I am not totally against Green. Green can be a very good thing and should be practiced, But let us use common sense.

9. ToniDavies

ToniDavies LawnSite Member

This was posted in the Toronto Sun,

Ontario will ban the use of cosmetic lawn care chemicals, Premier Dalton McGuinty announced today.

"This law will be the toughest of its kind on North America," McGuinty said, as he marked Earth Day with Environment Minister John Gerretsen in the backyard of a private home near Avenue Rd. and St. Clair Ave.

The ban, which will come into effect next spring, will ban both the use and sale of pesticides and herbicides for lawn and garden use.

The products have come under fire from health care professionals, who are concerned prolonged exposure can cause cancer, neurological and reproductive problems.

10. Marcos

You KNOW exactly what's going to happen, right ?!?

There's going to be quite a bit of Ag chemical to be sold in Ontario in the near future...that's going to be 'mysteriously' used :rolleyes: "off label" for their "reciprocal applications" in the lawn / landscape.

The Ontario pesticide nut-and-shell game begins in spring '09 !
    :laugh: