1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ooohhhh am I steamed!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Willofalltrades, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a small business with a small bank account. I buy my equipment one at a time and I make it last. Recently I bought a Redmax EBZ8000 BP blower. This machine performs incredible. I love it. I hate the build quality.
    I will be the first to admit it was my own dumb fault that I left the unit on the trailer while I moved to another job 2 miles away. Speeds didn't go over 35mph. I get to the job. Pull the blower off the trailer and set it by the tire of the trailer while I unloaded my mowers. I bought trimmer trap racks to store the power tools but I wan to hold off on installing them because I do not think I will be using the same trailer next year. Plus I am leasing it from a family member so giant holes in the rails are a bad thing. Anyway, I cut the grass and trim with the trimmer. I didn't need to blow anything off because there wasn't a mess and the drive is gravel. I load the mowers and forget about the blower on the side. I move the trailer 5 feet and the tire sidewall pushes the blower onto its side and it roles down a little ditch. It tumbles once. That was my fault.
    The CHEAP PLASTIC piece that holds the idler screw breaks off by the carb. Thats the only damage done. I thought..no big deal my dealer will just install one back on. No, I now have to buy a whole new carb because homeowner grade materials are on my blower. Oh the machine has a little over 10 hrs on it. So now I need to take $120 out of my really shallow account to buy a carb for a new blower why? because Redmax feels they need to hold critical parts on with cheep, piece of garbage, plastic piece. I thought this was supposed to be commercial equipment, not craftsman or homelite quality.
  2. Willofalltrades

P.S.- My old craftsman handheld blower would have taken that fall like a man! lol

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Call redmax bottom line your dealer is wanting to rip you.
  4. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Probably a valid gripe.
    I hate having to buy $20 worth of crap, just to get the $2 part I need.
    It's an irritating trend thats been building for several years now.

And yes, call Redmax and give them a (polite) earfull, they might get after the dealer, or just send you the part you need.
  5. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

ha gah that sucks, this might be a stretch but you could try to get it waranteed. I would just tell your dealer that it "came off"... and see what they say. Like I said maybe a stretch but it could work... I ain't familiar with that part is there no way you fabricate a piece to work till you get some more money?
  6. Willofalltrades

Ha I fabbed a piece alright... The cruz control lol. Set the thumb lock and pull it. Thats besides the point. The peice looks broken off so the It just fell off claim doesn't work. The dealer said the part is around $90-$95. I figured $30 in labor.
  7. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Ever see "The Graduate"? He got one piece of advice from an OF at a party "PLASTICS"!

I'll give you my one word OF advice "CYANACRYLICS" {sp?} or in plain English - SUPERGLUE. The stuff really works if you do it right.
  8. Willofalltrades

If only I had the crappy part that broke off.:cry:
  9. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Oops, yes that's a problem. Sorry for you troubles - I don't have any Redmax equipment but I've heard good stuff about them, maybe they'll help out. All my Stihl equip is plastic too and I've had a few close calls like yours but I've been lucky.. Better luck to you, Will M>

PS: If you do happen to find the piece or something similar that will work, there are several types of superglues [gap-filling, thicker stuff, etc.] that I've used successfully on heavy plastics.
  10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I have no sympathy for you.

The blower is not designed to roll down a hill.

PAY ATTENTION to what you're doing, and it never would have happened.

glad you fabbed up something to make it work.