1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

oops... gonna freeze and we're unprepared

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Jan 12, 2013.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

We don't often get subfreezing temperatures here in Silicon Valley. Last time that I remember a freeze doing serious damage was over 20 years ago.

Overnight lows are supposed to dip into the upper 20s tonight and nobody does blowouts around here.

Could mean a busy week ahead...
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Can you smell it? Can you? It's the smell of money with all those service calls!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Same situation we get in every October right before the first overnight freeze, which this year was October 5th. But if I remember right, you all have more of those above ground AVB valve manifolds than we do, with lots of exposed PVC. Good luck.
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Stop by Buffalo NY it's almost 60 today!
  4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

We have been cold for a week or so, not hearing of much damage and i spoke to 3 of 4 supply houses that refer me.

I just got in from a pressure tank R&R, bout froze my ass off.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Froze last night here close to the border, hard on the cacti. Chilly all day, colder tonight.
  6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Just the opposite here. 40s and raining.
  7. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Getting in the 20's then back above freezing shouldn't cause issues unless its in the 20's for a while. When its in the teens just for the overnight is when we see issues in october in mn.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Upper 20's usually doesn't break plumbing, especially that connected by heavy copper and brass to a heated basement.
  9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder how many sprinkler guys in Tucson actually own a compressor, and have ever winterized? :dizzy: I read in the paper it's the coldest in twenty-five years.
  10. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year when we were in Tucson/Vail in January it got down to 16 degrees overnight. That was the coldest that I have ever experienced out there. Luckily we were there and I was able to wrap the service feed to the house and the back flow. The cold didn't do any of my plant material in my yard any good though...