Lawn Care Forum banner

oops... gonna freeze and we're unprepared

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  DanaMac 
#1 ·
We don't often get subfreezing temperatures here in Silicon Valley. Last time that I remember a freeze doing serious damage was over 20 years ago.

Overnight lows are supposed to dip into the upper 20s tonight and nobody does blowouts around here.

Could mean a busy week ahead...

#2 ·
Can you smell it? Can you? It's the smell of money with all those service calls!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Same situation we get in every October right before the first overnight freeze, which this year was October 5th. But if I remember right, you all have more of those above ground AVB valve manifolds than we do, with lots of exposed PVC. Good luck.

#4 ·
We don't often get subfreezing temperatures here in Silicon Valley. Last time that I remember a freeze doing serious damage was over 20 years ago.

Overnight lows are supposed to dip into the upper 20s tonight and nobody does blowouts around here.

Could mean a busy week ahead...
We have been cold for a week or so, not hearing of much damage and i spoke to 3 of 4 supply houses that refer me.

I just got in from a pressure tank R&R, bout froze my ass off.
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
Getting in the 20's then back above freezing shouldn't cause issues unless its in the 20's for a while. When its in the teens just for the overnight is when we see issues in october in mn.
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
Last year when we were in Tucson/Vail in January it got down to 16 degrees overnight. That was the coldest that I have ever experienced out there. Luckily we were there and I was able to wrap the service feed to the house and the back flow. The cold didn't do any of my plant material in my yard any good though...

#12 ·
Upper 20's usually doesn't break plumbing, especially that connected by heavy copper and brass to a heated basement.
It's definitely worse when it gets below 25.

Around here the norm is AS valves on PVC.

In my experience the Richdel/ Irritrol jartops are one of the worst effected. Rainbird ASVFs tend to survive OK.

Brass actuators, like Champion or Superior, on older brass valves split sometimes. And with plastic actuators like the Hydro Rain/ Hardie/ Irritrol 311A the internals would kind of explode.

Lots of above ground pool equipment with no covers too.

And RPZs required for a lot of businesses, like salons, dog groomers, medical and dental, etc. Usually installed within 3 ft. of the meter, with no covers.

December 1990 it got down to 19 degrees and did a lot of damage. Lots of construction/ development since then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.