oops... gonna freeze and we're unprepared

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Nah .... it has to stay that temp longer than overnight for me to worry about it.

2. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

It's definitely worse when it gets below 25.

Around here the norm is AS valves on PVC.

In my experience the Richdel/ Irritrol jartops are one of the worst effected. Rainbird ASVFs tend to survive OK.

Brass actuators, like Champion or Superior, on older brass valves split sometimes. And with plastic actuators like the Hydro Rain/ Hardie/ Irritrol 311A the internals would kind of explode.

Lots of above ground pool equipment with no covers too.

And RPZs required for a lot of businesses, like salons, dog groomers, medical and dental, etc. Usually installed within 3 ft. of the meter, with no covers.

December 1990 it got down to 19 degrees and did a lot of damage. Lots of construction/ development since then.

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

3 nights in a row with lows of of 28 or so... Some problems won't show up until people start watering again.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

And the classic $700.00 water bill comes in.:dizzy:

5. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

We have that before we even start winterizing.:laugh:

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Same here, or colder. Still not worried about it. Mid to low 20's, especially if freezing temps extend well into the daylight hours I start to worry.

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Ice on the troughs were over an inch thick and one that was shaded and unused never thawed today.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You were prolly in the low 20's there? Betting it didn't get above freezing until close to noon either.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

-3 degrees here at the casa. Stay warm my friends.