oops, i took the neighbors account

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MIDSOUTH, Feb 1, 2001.

1. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

This morning i stopped at the Citgo by my shop and was putting air in my trailer tires, I was approached by a man and he asked me if I was in the lawn biz, I looked at my trailer and wondered if I was just pulling them mowers around for my health, just kidding . I felt that was a silly question because of the 60" scag,48" john deere, 36" exmark, various trimmers and blowers sitting on the trailer. Anyway I gave him my card and we talked a while. He said his previous service had not shown up in a month and a half. He asked how much I would clean the yard up for, without seeing the yard I told him 35.00 per hour. I went and cleaned the yard up and edged everything neatly . He called me and told me how nice it looked and to be sure to put him on my schedule as a year round customer. I forgot to leave a bill for the cleanup so I went back over there to leave the bill and I passed by another guy in the lawn biz that I have talked to several times before, this guy was at the neighbors house, which happened to be his own house. when I handed the bill to the customer, he told me "It was hard to fire the neighbor" Oh well, I guess that guy with the lawn service will not talk to me anymore.
    Oh well, tough, he didn't do the job to his customers expectations and I took it, if he don't like it, he can (I can't say that on here).

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

A man's gotta take what a man's gotta take!
    One more enemy in the biz ain't gonna kill ya, or will it?

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

MIDSOUTH, You didn't take anything, the man approached you, and you provided him with a quality and professional service. The other guy is obviously not concerned with taking care of his customers so, too bad so sad. That's why it pays to do good work at fair prices and they will come to you. That obviously worked in this case for you, probably makes you feel good huh? Nobody likes confrontation but you like more business don't you. You're only doing your job.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

How can the other service not show up? He only had to go next door. :eek:

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We have a pretty crude bunch when it comes to manners and politeness towards each other in the business in our area. However as a rule of thumb we TRY not to blatantly bid against our friends for obvious reasons, to a point. Rule of thumb is: We Dont Initiate Client Contact.

However, once they call us and we make sure that they are willing to pay more for us (obviously we do better work-lol) because the two are past reconciliation, we take the job. If anyone of us has hard feelings we can do nothing but get over it - and try to produce better results for our remaining clients in ther future.

Kris

6. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

He lost it you didn't take it

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

8. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Just ask the old service , what was up with that deal next door to him and explain the situation. I have weird deals like that come up and am always curious why something was dumped or ignored. Maybe the guy didn't pay on time or wanted to many freebees. Maybe he's the dreaded 'talker' type and wastes your time. I'd find out.

9. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with "Twotoros" on this one,I would get the other side of this story from the LCO that "lost the job".There is probably a reason for it.

10. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Yup,

Twotoros is right for me too. I think there is alsways two sides to a story. I would not care really because you did nothing wrong.

Bedros