oops- was that my finger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Just a reminder to yall, keep your wits about ya. Normally i am mr.anal when it comes to safety. i wont even move my wb mower off my trailer without hearing protection.

well, last sunday my gf decided she wanted to use my ariens 21" mower to mow the lawn. She wanted to compare the cut with her crapsman. no contest right. So about half way through the front lawn i notice she is cutting too high. So, i go over to lower the deck. Now, when i use the machine and change the levels i HAVE TO let go of the clutch to change them. No problem to restart. Well, with her at the controls, me with hearing protection in, and no brain to be found anywhere...............

la, de, da.......
    WHAM! "SON OF A>>>>>>> OH DAMMIT! Hon lets go to the hospital."

Left hand lost the tips of my two middle fingers. It could have been much worse, but god spared me that. I lost about 1/2 the fingernail up on the middle finger and from the tip of the fingernail up on the ring finger. 9 years and only a few rocks tossed unger my glasess, now this. I am pretty embarassed and all my lawn buddies around feel for me, but laugh at/with me too. I am going to TRY and start mowing this monday. Doc says only thing resricting me from work is the amount of pain. If i caN HANDLE IT I CAN WORK ALL I WANT.

sorry for the lack of caps, working impired here, hehe. Be safe and have a great day. I am off to have my moring breakfast, coffee and vicadin.

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry about your accident. A good story for those ( I am experienced It can't happen to me) Guys.
    Mark

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Your real lucky!! It could have been a lot worse. We all learn from our mistakes and hopefully from others.

4. leprechaun_50

leprechaun_50 LawnSite Member

Glad to hear it wasn't more serious. It just goes to show that you can't let your guard down even for a second.

5. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

Man!!

You reallly have a great attitude about things ... that's a rarity in this day and age ... most people would be looking to sue the lawnmower company or the blade manufacturer or something ... or worse yet, blaming others or even God for this ... you just accept it ... you appear to have a very optimistic outlook on life ...

I know it's a very small thing, but you have my respect.

SticK-niNe

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Dang, hate to hear that. This will complicate your nose picking abilities on the left side huh?

Just kidding, hope the pain (I'm sure it's great) goes away soon.

7. script

script LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear about the accident, but very glad it wasn't worse. You were probably distracted because your gf was there and you just did not think it through like you would normally. I have to say though that I agree with stick-nine in respecting your great attitude, and hope that if anything ever happens to me that I can be as optimistic. Hope it heals well and quickly.

Bobby

8. leprechaun_50

leprechaun_50 LawnSite Member

A.C. Just woke up to the fact that you are from Bellingham, Wa. I spent the last half of '72 and most of '73 up at Blaine AFS. Loved the area, all the people were very friendly. Had a super time.
    Sorry again about your hand.

9. Just Turned Pro

Just Turned Pro LawnSite Member

I feel your pain.... I did a similar thing about 16 years ago or so... Of course I was twelve at the time. :) (It must be something in the water up here in the PNW)

I was adjusting the wheel height on my parents old mower. This one had no blade brake or engine kill levers.... and of course I left it running because if I shut it off I would never get it started again. Anyway, one of the front wheels was very tight and hard to adjust. So for leverage, I grabbed the bottom of the deck....OUCH!...Luckily the blade only nicked the tip of my left middle finger a couple of times and the angle was more of a fillet than a crosscut so a trip to the ER and a few stiches later it was all good.

I still have a small scar on the tip of that finger. I look at it a few times each year when I behind and in a rush... It serves as a good reminder not to get in so much of a hurry that I compramise safety!

10. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Everyone is entitled to a brain-fart. With this one, you were lucky.