Open cab vs Closed cab Mini Excavator

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by NEUSWEDE, Dec 14, 2008.

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Searching for a mini excavator and I'm on the fence of enclosed vs open cab. My 35D was open cab and was great for visibility but still got wet on rainy days and working in mud it went every where. Closed cab would be better for working on colder and rainy days but more things to break.
    Looking for an 8k machine and will hold on to this one for awhile just looking for others thoughts. Leaning towards a Kubota.
  2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I dont know which brand, but after using an open rops mini and then having a backhoe with a cab I would most definetly go with the cab. the operator is usually alot more productive in an air conditioned cab than in an open rops machine..
  3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Having a cab is worth all the tea in China........I would never ever buy one again without a cab.....same with all my equipment. For me, it has been minimal maintenance.......and what would be the additional $ amount on the loan per month...$50-$75 tops? Well worth it.....I don't like mud, dust, dirt, bee stings, rocks, tree branches, or other people up on the machine with me unless invited. Once you have a cab, you will wonder how you ever lived without one........just ask KSSS :) :) :)
  4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Down here you can get by without a cab.Up there no way.

I have a Kx-161 and really like it.
  5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Cab, no if's and's or but's here, you're a pussy if you go with an OROPS here.
  6. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

I vote cab
  7. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Open cab on all my mini's, I go through the woods and can't imagine how many busted windows I would have by now if they had cabs. Plus It's a tight squeeze if your bigger than a midget.
  8. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The Kubota has a nice size cab.I am 6'1" 230 so I need some room.
    I do use mine in the woods as well.
    Either a limb through the rops upside your head, yellow jackets, Mosquitoss or a broke window.:dizzy:
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to use the machine 365 days a year you need a cab. A open ROPS machine is horrible even in the summer time the sun beats down on you the windows on a cab give you some protection.

A cab is worth ever penny.
  10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If you work where it gets cold your a fool if you go without a cab. I know I tried. Working in minus 30 - 40 below zero about sucked the life out of me (not to mention the heat). The thing is if your buying used the resale on a cab will certainly all come back to you when you go to sell. Buying new I discovered that you get the half the cost of the cab back at resale. If your buying a bigger mini ex it is especially important. Your able to work longer and more comfortably. The bigger machines are able to work in the frost conditions, with a cab you can take advantage of that. Prior to a cab I dreaded having to work in miserable conditions. Its not an issue now.