open or enclosed trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mowerboy04, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys, i'm out growing my little 6.5x12 trailer so i'm looking at getting a 7x18 trailer but i'm debateing weather or not i want enclosed or open. what are the pros and cons when looking for a trailer, and storeing either trailer won't be a problem.
    thanks in advance
    alex

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I love my enclosed, it provides your equipment with security, the equip. is out of the weather, it looks nicer (IMO) and it also provides you with a shelter when needed. I would look into a 8.5 x18 vs. a 7ft x 18ft and get plywood sides!!!!! not the crap luan.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

On another note, just looking at your equipment and thats gonna be a strain on your 1/2 ton. My 8.5x16 enclosed weighs 2900lbs plus equipment.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

One downside of enclosed is you can't haul stuff like mulch and tree limbs. On the other hand it is nice to have a little more security and keeps the weather off equipment.

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I would (and did) go with an open trailer. Everything is just so much easier to get to. One thing though...if you think you want an 18 long get a 20 or 22. I wanted (and got) a 16 and really could have filled up a 20'.

6. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hope im not hijacking the thread...

Would it take longer to load and unload using enclosed vs open?

I want to get enclosed trailers for looks + advertising, crews are between 2-3 guys, Time spent per home is about 10 minutes average and the next stop is about 1 minute apart, I would hate to spend even 1 more minute per home as 30 homes per day would make that 30 minutes more of pay per day X 2 or 3 employees.

Working with the open, 1 guy is getting on the z while the other gettin g the trimmer and the other the edger, all at the same time, with an enclosed trailer im not sure if all 3 can hop in and grab there tools at the same time without delaying everything?

7. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 6 x 12 open i used for my first 2 years. I kept that as a mulch trailer and now have a 7x18 enclosed to match my truck. I also have a 1/2 ton silverado and although you wont be breaking any land speed records, it will pull just fine. I didnt even consider a enclosed trailer at first but now i dont know how i got by without one. Ive gotten a lot of complements on my set up and it helps business when people see you mean business.

8. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone else??

9. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

can you store your stuff in a garage or something? if not go with the enclosed Trailer
    If you can store your stuff inside go with an open.
    as it been said each one has its pro and cons

10. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

Even though unloading the trailer might take a few secs longer, you save as much time as you lose. At the end of the day you do not have to unload equipment and in the morning you dont have to load anything up, you just jump in the truck and start driving. the enclosed trailer is the best choice IMO.