Lawn Care Forum banner

Open or enclosed trailers?

7K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  dnc19694339 
#1 ·
Here is my deal, I am looking to buy a new trailer before spring and don't know weither to go with an 18' open trailer with all the racks and cages or a 20' enclosed with racks and lettering.

I currently have a 16' open trailer that works out well, but I think an enclosed may look more professional. We are primarily a mowing and landscaping maintenance company that does the occasional install job.

I have a shop where we store the equipment so it's not like I have to have an enclosed for storage reasons.

I just figured with all the hacks out there it may not hurt to bite the bullet and go first class with a lettered enclosed unit, but I have seen around town and on here some pretty nice open units.

I think enclosed is the way to go, but I just need a couple people to re- assure me.

Thanks Andrew

#2 ·
I have both, I bought the enclosed because I didn't have a shop and I could lock up my equipment, but then to fit my leaf loader I bought the open and I prefer using the open for most things. I like the enclosed because it's a rolling billboard, but I think the open is more convenient while cutting lawns....

#5 ·
I have thought about this same thing for a while now. There are benefits to both types of trailers, but it really depends on what you are looking to do exactly.

With an enclosed trailer you have a much more secure trailer than an open. There is no need to unload everything at the end of the day, just lock up the trailer and your good to go. Everything also stays out of the weather if it rains unexpectedly. You can also carry pretty much any tool in an enclosed trailer, its like a mobile workshop. Plus, you have the rolling billboard, great advertising. But like others have pointed out, you can't really haul mulch/bark/dirt/large debris/etc.

With an open trailer you have the ability to haul debris/dirt/mulch/bark/etc. And it is a much more economical decision since a similarly sized open trailer is about 1/3 or 1/4 the price of an enclosed trailer.

#6 ·
Yes the advertisement is very nice and keeping everything in the trailer and end of day and the season. Not taking any room up in the garage is also a plus. Paying employees less also for not unloading is also a plus. Just more price I'm gonna get a couple years under my belt before I go with a enclosed though.
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
One thing nice with an open trailer (which I have) is that it doesn't get HOT inside during the day! But enclosed does keep everything out of weather too & keeps grass off of your equipment if you haul grass in your truck.

#11 ·
We have been using an enclosed for about 4 years and it's great.

would not want to go back to a open trailer.

We do still have our 16' open trailer that we worked out of for years, we kept it for the reasons mentioned.

#13 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I think I will pick up an enclosed this spring. The money is deff there, but i need to find one i like. I don't want just any trailer, I need one that "works" for us, like the one pictured earlier!

On a side note, what size would one look for, if using it for landscaping maintance and hauling 2 walks and 1 zero turn?

Thanks Andrew

#14 ·
I have an open and like it a lot I think there are pros and cons to open and enclosed however.
Enclosed
pros
equipment is safe
you have an emerngcry bathroom (iy you put a bucket with a bag in there lol)
Can have a small shop set up in the back
Open
pros
Does not get hot
you can get in more places (ex gas stations or drive throughs)
you get to show off your equipment (lol)

#15 · (Edited)
Mulchmaster, where are you in Ohio? I bought my Cargo King from Appalachian Trailer in Salem. He builds everything except enclosed, but he brings them in from Michigan. When I bought mine, nobody could touch his price.(Price when compared to other trailers of like quality!) Also, if you are ever in the market for a dump trailer Appalachian's prices are better than others. He builds the dump trailers there and the quality looked good. http://www.appalachiantrailers.com/.....ok, forget what I said! After looking at his web site, I see he doesn't carry enclosed anymore. opps!!

#16 ·
Enclosed is just the way to go I think.:cool2:

#17 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I think I will pick up an enclosed this spring. The money is deff there, but i need to find one i like. I don't want just any trailer, I need one that "works" for us, like the one pictured earlier!

On a side note, what size would one look for, if using it for landscaping maintance and hauling 2 walks and 1 zero turn?

Thanks Andrew
No less than 20 and dual axle , stay away from the single you get a flat and your farked..:cool2:

#19 ·
Do you ever have problems with the weed whacker when they are upside down like that?

#21 ·
I have the same problem with mine. I use a bungee, but its annoying to have to put it on and off all the time.

#22 ·
I agree no less than 20'. I've got an 18' w/ shelves in the front. 2 wbs and 1 zero just fit. Give yourself room to fit 2 zs and 1 wb though in case you want to switch out a wb for a z sometime

#23 ·
Hey lugnut I've seen you around the area. Hows business?

#24 ·
One thing nice with an open trailer (which I have) is that it doesn't get HOT inside during the day! But enclosed does keep everything out of weather too & keeps grass off of your equipment if you haul grass in your truck.
I insulated my enclosed trailers, so they don't get too hot inside during the summer. Without the insulation, they are not as comfortable to use.

I bought my 1st enclosed trailer in 1989. I had many critics from my friendly competitors. They ask me why I pulled my house with me everywhere I go.:) Everybody in this business saw me around and knows who I am. Potential customers call my posted phone number while I'm driving down the road. My only regret is the 10 years prior, that I used an open trailer. I have a dump truck for mulch and limbs, etc.

#26 ·
Business is good, we had a good season and I'm hitting next year even harder. Taking some time now while its slow to really get things in order for spring. Where are you from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.