1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

open spoons or closed spoons?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by MNmasterEXTERMINATOR, Mar 24, 2008.

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR LawnSite Member

I have only used closed spoons for pulling plugs when aerating. I cannot get closed anymore for my model aerator, but I can still get open. Is it worth it to get the open spoons? What is the difference?
  2. CrownLawnSvc

CrownLawnSvc LawnSite Member

Open spoons eject the plug out the side( back or front, depends on how you look at it) of the tine. I can't think of a reason that it would ever be a problem. You should get less clogging than closed tines.

do the open spoon pull just as good of a plug as the closed. I wouldn't think they would. I would think it would just slit the ground. I am hesitate on buying open tines.
  4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

The difference is that closed spoons tend to hold the core longer, lift it higher, and deposit it where it can be seen more. I prefer the opens, because they self clean better, and don't bend as much. What model is your aerator? Chances are, you probably can get them from R&R products, do a google search.:waving:
  5. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

The biggest difference between open and closed tines is the core vs a rip and slug of soil ejected from the open spoon. the open spoon will leave a bigger hole and do the same ripping action. the first Lawnaires from Ryan the LA3 had open tines. The problem with open tines is that they do not cut the thatch layer all around the hole. The thatch will remain attached and close back over the hole thus reducing the usefulness of the hole for ventilation. Ryan made the change after about 3 years of the LA3 to the LA4 and closed spoon tines. Rule of thumb if you have a thatch layer use coring tines no thatch and you want to renovate for overseeding use open spoon tines.

What machine do you have?

An old lesco 30. I am going to upgrade sometime in the future but for this year I am still going to be using the old "30".
  7. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Great post, good point. Thanks for that, was wondering myself!