Open trailer gate spring options cheap?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Tha5150, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Tha5150

Tha5150 LawnSite Member

Just starting out but here is what i got. An open trailer that as all of you know will get heavier and heavier throughout the day.

Are there any home made spring ideas out there to assist with the gate going up and down much easier?

I heard a garage door spring would work but i need to see how it attaches and what to do.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Trailer Parts Superstore

Trailer Parts Superstore Inactive

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

You cal get gorilla lifts from northerntool.com for about $140 if you watch you can catch them on sale.
    I got a set last yr and have been very pleased with them
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Tha5150

Tha5150 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, i will see what i can come up with. I would rather make something for cheap and save a potential $120 bucks to put towards some new tires. :)

5. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Go shrewd and purchase the double barrell system. Using garage door springs etc. Is not only a safety hazard but will not last as long therefore you will spend the same amount over time and with the double barrell you still have one side if your trailer free for racks. Good luck to all.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member

Somebody has an interesting set of springs on their gate. They were just short little suckers. Said they helped a lot and they were designed for the purpose of closing trailer gates. Can't for the life of me remember where it was posted but they were a lot cheaper and maintenance free than the other options i've seen. No cables, tubes, etc.

7. Tha5150

Tha5150 LawnSite Member

You need to find this info and repost.

8. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Might be talking about The Elegator gate assist.

9. Thanksman

Thanksman LawnSite Platinum Member

10. Tha5150

Tha5150 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I will deal with it until i can figure out something for cheap or until i get busy enough to put a proper assist on. Currently i have no accounts so no need to beef up the trailer yet.