Open trailer or enclosed?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Agape, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Georgia Lawn Works LLC

Georgia Lawn Works LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you need a trailer? You can haul any debris away with the truck that you plan on pulling your trailer with. Use it wha it's ment to be used for.

Check this out.....

http://www.soarr.com/dealerphotos/truck_n_trailer/xl/41906648.jpg

2. MSilver

MSilver LawnSite Member

If you can afford it, go with the enclosed. It's more secure, protects the equipment, no need for guys to load/unload each day, which results in less indirect labor, and it's a rolling billboard.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  3. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

lol, That salesman licked his lips when he saw you coming!
    so you got a couple ramps that are about 150 pounds each, when you have debris you walk up and throw it over the equipment you're not using to the nose of the box, and then pull everything out to dump, try to get debris down the 20 foot long expanded metal ramp.... what did that cost? about $30K?
    you managed to save the hassle of backing a trailer.
    hey, video yourselves using that thing in a day(motion activated recording) and post it so we can all enjoy your purchase.

4. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold LawnSite Senior Member

Never had an open trailer, so don't know the difference but like what I got!

[​IMG]

5. Georgia Lawn Works LLC

Wow. What a dumbass.

First of all most of them are assisted lift. Second how much do you think a 8x10 foot wooden fold down door weighs on an enclosed trailer?

Third of all that's not even mine.

Ya know if your company ever expands any I can see your stupid ass buying 4 pickup trucks and 4 encloseed trailers to run your crews out of.

Do what you want fool. But don't ask for peoples help then shoot their ideas down. And as far as the debris hauling goes buy your ass a ford diesel with a dump bed on the back you cheap ass.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  6. Agape

I didn't ask for your help, I specifically asked if enclosed trailers kept equipment dry enough to make it a worthwhile purchase over an open trailer because if it's raining the equipment gets soaking wet during use, and sits in the trailer "wet", although it keeps equipment dry that you are not using-I didn't ask: "should I get a U-Haul?" or "what if I dont want a trailer at all at any cost?" I know exactly what a trailer ramp weighs and I'm not worried about crushing injuries if the assist fails. Yes if I expanded to where I needed 4 crews I would very ignorantly get a truck and trailer for each one 'cause our local public transit system is not viable for my routes.
    As far as hauling, I DO have a ford f-350 crew with a flatbed dump on it but it's a 351 gas not a deisel.
    No thats not yours, but one that you reeeeaaallly want.
    I really didn't mean to shoot down your Idea, but rather just to say that your Idea is really stupid and maybe even a tiny bit gay, my apologies.

7. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold LawnSite Senior Member

The both of you got up on the wrong side of the bed, maybe just a tiny bit gay!

8. Agape

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend the Gay.

9. Georgia Lawn Works LLC

That picture was simply to show you the makeup of a dovetail for a box truck. Since you thought I aparently wanted you to slide all of your equipment up a 2 and a half foot god damn ramp.

I bet you that truck with the dump bed just sits there because you insist on throwing everything on the trailer instead of using the equipment that you already have.

sorry for the harsh reply. But when you make comments like the salesman was licking his lips when he saw you comming its going to piss anyone off. Especially since I wouldn't use a uhaul for a damn landscaping truck to begin with.

And I was simply trying to broaden your thinking about box trucks. After all I see isuzu's with dovetails in nice shape for around 7000 all the time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

Basically enclosed trailers are a waste of money, unless you want to keep your equipment outside or you dont have a garage. They cost a lot more, weigh more, less visibility, cant haul debris and you less gas milage= more money overall. And if you use your equipment in the rain and park it in the trailer its going to stay wet because theres no airflow or sunlight to evaporate the water.