Open Trailer Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lynden-Jeff, May 13, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi,

I have a question for all you open trailer owning folks. What do you do every night with your equipment? I don't really have enough space to unload everything so I was thinking about just locking down everything and tarping the trailer with a heavy duty tarp. Would this work? I will have everything under video surveillance and heavily locked down so i'm not worried about anything getting stolen.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 10 by 15 storage now but I used to just lock up the trailer and chain everything together that wasnt already locked in racks. I bought trimmer covers and threw them on the trimmers and edgers and my trailer has a truck toolbox on the front of it which locks up all my odds and ends, like loppers, oil, gas, string, etc etc. Throw a big tarp over everything and anchor it somehow so it doesnt blow off. My stuff was never even wet from the dew. Make sure to get a good lock for the front of the trailer. The one i had actually went into the coupler and locked it so no one could take it.

3. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I do the same. A few long chains and a few locks.. Cover with tarp, fasten tight and done.. I'm lucky though. I store my stuff on my parents property. I back the trailer into the drive and cover. My Dad, with lots of complaining, lets me put my 2 cycle stuff in his garage.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I keep one trailer behind the fence but they kept stealing the shovel, gas, and sprayers out of the back of the truck. I put in one of those lights that come on when you walk up and the camera that scans back and forth and now I have gone 2 years without any problem. I think it is high risk to leave a trimmer locked in such a way that they could use bolt cutters and snatch and run. You might get a 2x2 cage for the blowers/hedge trimmer etc. and take trimmers inside.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i take everything off and put it in my garage. its less hassel than trying to hook up the trailer by yourself . i leave the trailer connected to my work truck.

6. Boonman

Boonman LawnSite Member
    from NY

If it isn't going to rain, It all stays on the trailer. If it going to rain, it gets unloaded in the shop. My new shop will have deep enough bays that I can back the truck(s) and trailer(s) in and keep them hooked up. But that isn't for another year...

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The whole trailer gets backed into the shop and the truck goes in next to it.

8. bnorton

bnorton LawnSite Member

Trailer gets backed into garage loaded, makes it nice to just hook up to the next morning and go.

9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll have to post a pic for you guys! Give me a day or two!

10. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I do. It would be nice to have a shop to just pull into, truck, trailer and all, and leave it. Unfortunately I'm not to that point yet. Probably at the beginning of next year. But I guess I'm just lucky to have a garage for now.