1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Open Trailer Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Turf Terror, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Turf Terror

Turf Terror LawnSite Member

I just got done speaking to a friend who's son has a landscape business in Massachusetts. He claims that the DOT there does not allow any open lawncare trailers--that everything must be carried in an enclosed trailer. My son(who lives in MA) wants to use one of my open trailers to start up a lawncare biz.
    Anybody have any input on this?
  2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

WHATEVER! All I have ever used us open trailers. Your friend is SO wrong. 90% of landscapers here is western mass us open trailers. If DOT did not allow open trailers then the state trooper that I work for would have told me. By the way he spends 3 days a week in trafic court.
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

What did he say the reason was? As long as everthing is secured to the trailer, who in their right mind cares what lind of trailer is being used. I wold have asked to see this on in black and while from the MA DOT Code book.

I am not in MA, but it still sounds really silly...
  4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

When June gets here and all the warriors put the push mowers in their trunk... it kind of looks like all trailers are banned in NC lol
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If open trailer weren't supposed to be used then why would you be able to license them or buy them in that state? I see open trailer used by everyone all over the country for lawn care from the east coast to west coast.
  6. Turf Terror

Turf Terror LawnSite Member

I told my pal he was F.O.S. If anything, the Masshole DOT might have been cracking down on unsecured equipment and flying gas cans on open trailers.
  7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, he sounds full of it for sure.
  8. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

LOL it looks like that around here as well
  9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I have used my open trailer in Mass for years. No problem, ever.
  10. bkdlawnCo

bkdlawnCo LawnSite Member

I know that if your securing something to your trailer with straps the straps have to be flat. meaning no twists in them that would effect the integrity of the hold. thats the only rule i know about open trailers besides the obvious. I use an open trailer simply because i have a 70' x 30' garage to store my stuff in and it's a whole lot easy to grab something over the side of the trailer then having to walk around into a 100 degree trailer in the summer. If they make a law that you can't use an open trailer...it would make a whole bunch of people upset.:hammerhead: